The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GDG...using trail/game cams for home surveillance

Default GDG...using trail/game cams for home surveillance

Anyone have any recommendations about which models are best for getting pictures of thieves and trespassers? We got hit up by thieves 2 days ago, so it's past time to get some kind of surveillance system. Been looking at various internet reviews and there's so much info. it's bewildering. Our bank barn which has Doug's shop on the upper level, got broken into 2 nights ago by a very determined lowlife as it's well locked on both levels. But the lowlife broke in via a window that had to be accessed via back of a truck or by ladder, and looted almost Doug's entire livelihood of high quality power tools. This has always been a very safe area but according to the sherrifs' dept. when we filed the report, this kind of rural crime has spiked recently.

I've figured out that we need a camera that can be well hidden (from thieving human eyes), one that doesn't have a big red blinking light or strobe type flash. We also really need a driveway alarm that will work from a mile away since the property has 2 driveways and the one to the bank barn is as far as you can get on this prop. from the house. Would love to hear from anyone with recommedations on either trail cams for home surveillance and/or driveway warning alarms. Neither of us is good w/advanced electronic technology so ease of use is also a priority.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Many are to the price point of being disposable. There are wireless 6 camera security systems for under $500. Costco had one for $300 a while back. Most game cams will run about $200 each. They have fairly limited range/distance. Especially at night with the infrared.

It wouldn't be my choice for security. I'd rather have a camera on a light pole with a big huge sign that says, you're on candid camera than a picture of a theifs back carrying out your stuff.

Had a customer, that owned a wreaking yard getting hit almost every night. He tried game cams, but pictures wernt that good. He ddoes know someone in the FBI and I think they were able to enhance enough to figure out Who it was.
    Check with some alaem companies

487 miles from home, but happily stationed in NE OK

PM sent...
    Scott Vermeer

Bluegoose's Cut of Jazztime, aka Carver
    The new kid: Sophie, whose registered name will come to us soon enough....

Forever with me:

RockErin's Island Code 01/2012-06/2013...Koda, your promise and my dream ended way too soon. Them 2 yeller dawgs will help you find your way...

Vammy's Chasing The Light 10/98-2/2011...Chase, you rocked. Now go find Bailey, and "hunt up!".

Bailey 6/85-12/99...just a purebred, unregistered meat dawg...but what a girl. You were awesome, pook'ems...

Prob should turn in your guns for safety

/paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Prob should turn in your guns for safety

/paul
    The woman owns Chesapeakes Cantrell....Like there isn't an easy solution....Disapointed that not even you or Bubba might make the suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    The woman owns Chesapeakes Cantrell....Like there isn't an easy solution....Disapointed that not even you or Bubba might make the suggestion
    Hey they stole all that stuff holding their nose. Clearly nobody to mess with

/paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Yes ,I agree that game cams are very unreliable for this use.There are security systems out there that have been coming down in price,that you can monitor from your I phone, record,stake snaps of the thief , and call the cops at the same time.

I know how you feel.We got robbed a year ago in November.They stole three flat screens,and all my wife's jewelry.They left my guns for some reason.They were caught and charged with 38 home invasions which the confessed to ,as well as gave prosecutors a tour of the homes. They court date is Feb 4th . They now say they are not guilty....?? I looked onlline and found multiple arrests on both of them...white guys.

I did this to all TVs so that they would need to disassemble the TV,or break the base.I also took a woodburning tool and gouged stolen into the plastic on the TV itself. Coonie security tactics hahha