Well I'm over 70 days into and just visited my 2nd vet regarding my 4 year old BLFs sprained carpal joint.
My initial vet released my dog telling me to start working her back into her normal routine, now this vet knew my dog was a working dog and this vet has a history with working dogs. I was so excited to have my dog back I went against my better judgment or gut feeling. I did not run my dog hard, I did not even run her on marks but I did take her out for a couple of duck(hunting). I could tell she wasn't right and I knew she probably should not be going into normal routine.
While I was training with a very experienced amateur last week I walked my girl out with me to plant the blinds. I was told " I don't care what your vet told you I would not run your dog, she's still injured".Well I got a number of a well respected vet and made another appointment.
At this point I feel pretty good about my now 2nd vet. After getting the initial information the first thing he had me do was walk my dog around the parking area. He then confirmed what I felt, my dog was not healed, she was learning to work with her injury by using her other 3 legs to a greater degree. He then told my dog had no business out in field and put her on moderate rest, she is only allowed short walks around the block on heal(just to take the edge off). I cut her calories to reduce her energy and she is on a low grade low level inflammatory.
I picked up my original xrays, the vet wants to see the xrays at the time of injury, after reviewing the initial xrays he'll decide if additional xrays are needed. Next appointment is the first week of February.
This is my first dog and my first experience with an injury of this nature, hence the frustration.