The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Feeding one yr old black lab and water?

Default Feeding one yr old black lab and water?

My female lab can eat way more than the recommended 2 1/2 cups per day. Also she drinks a lot of water. How much food and water is appropriate for a one yr old Lab?

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Is she skinny? Looking underfed? What does your vet say about her size/weight? What do YOU consider "a lot" of water? Is she outside or in? Worked/exercised daily and for how long? What is the temperature in your area?

Obviously without knowing or seeing your dog and the above information, no one can tell you how much food and water your dog needs via the internet.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Quote Originally Posted by firehouselabs View Post
    Is she skinny? Looking underfed? What does your vet say about her size/weight? What do YOU consider "a lot" of water? Is she outside or in? Worked/exercised daily and for how long? What is the temperature in your area?

Obviously without knowing or seeing your dog and the above information, no one can tell you how much food and water your dog needs via the internet.
    Loooking down from above she should have a waist and you should be able to feel ribs when you run your hand down her side. To put it in perspective, my one year old male eats 7 cups per day and is skinny. You can see his ribs a little. He'll drink a gallon or more of water also per day.

My working female ate as much as 5 cups when she was younger, growing, and training hard. Now she get 3 1/2 cups of PPP and is pretty skinny. She also drinks a lot of water ( mother of my male) compared to my other retired dogs.

Like stated above only you or your vet can answer how much, without a pic its hard to tell. I dont know a lab that wont eat any amount of food set infront of it...
    My 7.5mth male eats 4 cups of PPP per day and probably consume a gallon or so a day, he gets worked every day.

Dogs are no diferent than people. X amount of food can starve 1 person while making another fat. # of cups also no matter if the quality of the food and calories are different. Most dogs, just like humans will eat more than they need if available. Do as others have said, watch the energy levels and form. too much food and you will start seeing loose stools.

My 1 1/2 yo you could not begin to feed him enough. I also use depends on days work 3-4 cups of PPP Has good energy level (sometimes too much) and really good coat. Do check with the vet if you have concerns.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

If you read post #15 in this thread you'll find some good information to help you.
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...her-nose/page2

I just adjust my dogs' food intake as needed to maintain them in the ideal weight range. If they start looking too skinny, that means they need more food. If they start looking like they're carrying excess weight, that means they need less food. Mine are typically a 4 on the rating scale you'll find in the other thread.

Feed the dog what it says on the bag.
    Allow her as much water as the dog will drink and watch the color of urine.

Use this for future reference;