The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Casting into water drill

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brezee View Post
    Very nice set up, I wish I had some nice water nearby. I like the way you gave a "back" when your dog was anticipating the 3rd "over".
    Me too! On both counts. How did you originally identify the pile across the water? Did you throw a dummy over there, or is it a pile she has gone to before? My questions are all hypothetic. No water like that around here.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by archer66 View Post
    Nice video ...enjoyed watching your pup. After you stop her is the second whistle designed to get her to face you for the cast over or back? Does she typically stop and sit that direction or was that happening because she wanted to face the pile across the water? Are you using a visual cue to square her up or is the reminder whistle sufficient on its own?
    After you stop her is the second whistle designed to get her to face you for the cast over or back? Exactly, this is our second location and I wanted her to sit square to me. I think it was happening because of the known cast bumpers. I didn't use any pressure and the 3rd sit she figured it out and squared up right before I blew the whistle again, and then I praised her. So far the reminder whistle has been sufficient on it's own...no cues used. Thanks!
    ~Willie Alderson

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Willie,

What is your evolution through the cast-into-water skill set? Steps; start to finish?

Evan

Steps:
    -Identify back pile, run dog to back pile to get familiar
    Sit dog at apex, identify cast pile (I had her sit there and she watched me walk around the pond and I planted each bumper (white bumpers)
    -Leave dog at apex, handler returns to line, casts dog over to cast pile (did this 2-3 times)
    -Bring dog to line, send to back pile
    -Send to back pile, whistle stop half way, cast dog to cast pile (I had an extra bumper ready in case she got confused. If I remember correctly she really wanted the back pile on her very first attempt, so I called her back to apex and threw the bumper to casting pile. After that she figured it out.
    -I spent 3 days doing this, then I just flipped my position to run the other "over"
    -Next step is to find other pond locations to further deepen the lesson.

I'm following your Smartwork Program, so if I left out any important items let me know. Thanks!
    ~Willie Alderson

Go Pro? Yes
    ~Willie Alderson

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Me too! On both counts. How did you originally identify the pile across the water? Did you throw a dummy over there, or is it a pile she has gone to before? My questions are all hypothetic. No water like that around here.
    I sat her at the apex of the casting point after I had identified the back pile. While she sat there, I walked around and planted each white bumper. The first pond I used didn't have any cover so she could see the white bumpers. I walked back to the line and cast her over to the casting pile. I casted her to the over pile a few times, and then ran her from the line.
    ~Willie Alderson

The next steps (for me) was to have at least three different over piles. The shortest has the least amount of suction by the back pile. The closer you get to the back pile the more difficult an over becomes (especially if they can see the back pile right in front of them before they sit).
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Nice work! I'm new to the forum, and this is cool to see. (new pup coming in a week - soaking it all up)

That's a very nice little dog. Fast and happy.
    The distances on this drill look about perfect to me. Would you change it at all with the 3 over piles?
    Walt
    The OP said he is using Evan's program. That means when he gets into transition this early work will make for a seamless transition after Definitive Casting when the "three pile stretch" would be more appropriate.

Sent him a PM earlier to clarify.....and your point is well taken. "Next step" was not meant to mean next week.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by ericbehrend View Post
    Nice work! I'm new to the forum, and this is cool to see. (new pup coming in a week - soaking it all up)
    Welcome Eric... Enjoy the ride!
    Bill Davis