The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AKC hunt test question

Default AKC hunt test question

can the handler say "heel or here, good" to their dog at the line, lining her/him up for the blind? can you say "dead, back" when send her/him to the blind? thanks
    DU & Delta Waterfowl

HR Darby Duck Dog
    Red River 1 Shot Water Swatter (HRCH Shine x HRCH Jazz)

After the judge has given you permission to run the blind , you can say anything you want to your dog...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

But avoid saying no. Some judges have a pet peeve about the word even though there is nothing in the rule books that says you can't.

Bert
    Last edited by rbr; 01-27-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    Bert Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by smd13 View Post
    can the handler say "heel or here, good" to their dog at the line, lining her/him up for the blind? can you say "dead, back" when send her/him to the blind? thanks
    On marks, you can speak to your dog on the way to the line, and get them positioned with "heel and here" and even say mark. Once you have them ready, you signal the judge and THEN you may not speak to the dog again until the judge releases you after the marks go down. You can send your dog on their name or whatever command you use: I've heard a couple of people send their dogs with "take it!" (a carry-over from obedience competition.)

On blinds, you can speak to your dog all the way to the line, use heel and here, drop your hand and say dead or dead bird, and back.

It's imperative though that you do not appear to be intimidating your dog, so speak firmly but quietly. Some judges at the upper levels object to hearing a constant stream of "here! heel! heel! heel! here!" and mark you down for poor control.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post
    but avoid saying no, some judges havee a pet pieve about even though there is nothing in the rule books that says you can't.

Bert
    Bert, I know where you're coming from, and this is a very practical approach, which is to be admired.

I guess I am not very practical, though, and I refuse to give in to this nonsense. If I tell my dog no, as in "no it's not there, look over here," and a judge drops me, I will have pointed him out as an ignoramus to anyone with any sense. This has not happened yet.

If I have to tell my dog no, as in "listen you, and listen good, it's not where you're looking and I am going to get angry in a second," and a judge drops me, then my bad. I may have come close to this once or twice--if I remember correctly, I failed those blinds anyway.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Speak all you want as long as you have not called for the marks and are waiting for the fall. No need to wait for a judge to ask you to run the blind, once you are released for the marks you can talk all you want. That also means you can say no to pull them off a mark to select a differnt mark. People need to read their rulebooks.

No is nonsense, Who here has been dropped for NO other than yelling "No Here"? Hunt test myth. I am sure people have been dropped for yelling no at their dog, but I bet not one person can say they were dropped for saying no bird, or no heel, or no sit... I tell my dogs no all the time, no bird, no heel. I have been doing this a long time and have never actually seen anyone dropped for NO other than when it is obviously used in intemidation or to pick up the dog. Somebody please tell me a story about being dropped for using no in any manner other than obvious imtemidation.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Speak all you want as long as you have not called for the marks and are waiting for the fall. No need to wait for a judge to ask you to run the blind, once you are released for the marks you can talk all you want. That also means you can say no to pull them off a mark to select a differnt mark. People need to read their rulebooks.

No is nonsense, Who here has been dropped for NO other than yelling "No Here"? Hunt test myth. I am sure people have been dropped for yelling no at their dog, but I bet not one person can say they were dropped for saying no bird, or no heel, or no sit... I tell my dogs no all the time, no bird, no heel. I have been doing this a long time and have never actually seen anyone dropped for NO other than when it is obviously used in intemidation or to pick up the dog. Somebody please tell me a story about being dropped for using no in any manner other than obvious imtemidation.
    How about a stay with a hand signal? Handler was warned to stop intimidating her dog.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

In 25 yrs I have never been told I couldn't say a non intimidating "no" to a dog when lining up for a blind . As far as a hand signal, such as in front of the face, I would have to see that one.

To the OP, don't be influenced by HT myths from the internet. Rules do not say you can't. Just play by the rules and 99.9% of the time you'll be fine.
    Tom Dorroh

thanks for the responses. it cleared up some mis-conceptions that i had. have a good day.
    DU & Delta Waterfowl

HR Darby Duck Dog
    Red River 1 Shot Water Swatter (HRCH Shine x HRCH Jazz)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    In 25 yrs I have never been told I couldn't say a non intimidating "no" to a dog when lining up for a blind . As far as a hand signal, such as in front of the face, I would have to see that one.

To the OP, don't be influenced by HT myths from the internet. Rules do not say you can't. Just play by the rules and 99.9% of the time you'll be fine.
    I didn't see it but I know the handler, she is in my obedience class. She claims she gave an obedience type hand signal, the same one she uses in Obedience shows.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."