The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AKC hunt test question

I am sure the judges at this test would have an explaination. Remember, they both had to agree.
    When running we all get nervous and say things a little louder that we think we are. I don't know if this was the case or not.

The rulebook says it would "justify" elimination, not "must be eliminated".
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post

No is nonsense, Who here has been dropped for NO other than yelling "No Here"? Hunt test myth

I have been warned once. It was the same weekend I was told not to use a choke collar in the holding blind. I said thank you and ignored both.

The old coot must have gotten an internet connection that weekend. Luckily, I can't remember which judge it was--I know it was a "regular" and I can't remember anything else about the test so it must have been fine.

He certainly didn't get it from reading the rules--must have been Rtf. I hate these threads with a passion.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

I have witnessed it twice, once when someone who posts here regularly was simply noing his dog off of a bird in selection.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post
    I have witnessed it twice, once when someone who posts here regularly was simply noing his dog off of a bird in selection.

Bert
    This comes about when someone wants to appear as if they know and understand more about the intent of what's written in the RHTRET than the rest of us, when in fact, it only goes to show that they should have paid more attention in Cognative Englisn 101.
    john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    How about a stay with a hand signal? Handler was warned to stop intimidating her dog.

I was handling a dog for someone and the dog was an assistance dog for the deaf. One of his queues was to hold your hand in front of his face with your palm facing up and your fingers up to indicate "drop or give". It was not intimidating in any way, but the judges felt they needed to warn me. After the series was over I along with the owner spoke with the judges and explained. They were not fond of the taste of foot in the mouth, but we had no issues after that. The dog worked almost exclusively on hand signals rather than verbal commands
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post

Bert
    Then the judge was an idiot, or the event is being embellished. It take two as Tom points out, so I would be more skeptical of the persons honest description of what happened. Nobody has ever been dropped by two judges for "simply noing his dog off a bird in selection". As Paul Harvey use to say, now for the rest of the story.....
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    I was handling a dog for someone and the dog was an assistance dog for the deaf. One of his queues was to hold your hand in front of his face with your palm facing up and your fingers up to indicate "drop or give". It was not intimidating in any way, but the judges felt they needed to warn me. After the series was over I along with the owner spoke with the judges and explained. They were not fond of the taste of foot in the mouth, but we had no issues after that. The dog worked almost exclusively on hand signals rather than verbal commands
    Thank you for your reply. I personally think that any gesture or sound could be conditioned to be an intimidating cue and the judges wouldn't even know it. On the other hand, sounds like your judges were overzealous.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Agree, there is often more than meets the eye, but it was clear that the judge had his pet peeve.
    Bert Rodgers

I have my judges test laying on the table in front of me. Don't see any questions regarding the use of the word "no", it does discuss threatening gestures. Eyes of the beholder though....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

A soft "no, here" to get a proper alignment for a blind, or even a firm "no bird" on a poison bird blind should not even be noted by a judge. A loud "NO" on a blind when pup blows a handle is not a command, but a correction. And you just reinforced to the judges that pup was out of control. It's not the word that gets you dropped, it's the failure to complete the task at hand and keep pup in control.
    What handlers will report after the fact, or stories that migrate through several sources can often have little reference to the facts. I had a handler who protested to her friends that she was dropped for "merely giving her dog a stay command." Seems she forgot that she was actually excused for giving her pup a solid thump in the chest along with a very loud "STAY." To this day she insists she was dropped for no reason.