The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Health certifications Gone too far?

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    Maybe I better just stick to labradors.....
    I shake my head when I hear Lab breeders whining about inbreeding, EIC or CNM carriers, etc. and just know they'd have a melt down if they were dealing with a breed with a gene pool as small as the Chesapeake's. Agreed 100 percent with Tim C., you have to pick your poison.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

I have done every available test on my dog, and will continue to do so as new ones become available.
    While he still may produce an unhealthy puppy or two at some point, at least I will know it was not because I failed to make use of simple testing that is available. I would be horrified to find out a "defective puppy" could have been prevented if I had only bothered to do a simple blood test.
    JMO.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

This thought has crossed my old and feble mind--- If we, as humans were as careful when we breed ourselves as we are when we breed our animals, there would not be a problem with overpopulation in this world and maybe we would have a more inteligent group sitting in our Capitol. Just a thought from an 83 year old, no longer in the "stud" pool. Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Watson View Post
    This thought has crossed my old and feble mind--- If we, as humans were as careful when we breed ourselves as we are when we breed our animals, there would not be a problem with overpopulation in this world and maybe we would have a more inteligent group sitting in our Capitol. Just a thought from an 83 year old, no longer in the "stud" pool. Bill
    Amen to that! My husband shakes his head whenever I threaten to get a t-shirt made that says "Spay and Neuter...It's not just for pets"

On a serious note, common sense on the part of the breeder and the dog owners has to come into play. There is a big difference between a dog that carries a particular gene and one that is affected by that genetic trait. Education needs to go hand in hand with the genetic testing.
    Sonia Liedman

Handled by:
    Rocky's Red Hot Shot "Chip" MH QAA
    Babyduck's Blueberry Power "Blue"

Trained by:
    Piva's Gem Rocky "Rocky" MH QAA - RIP
    Swede Grove's Rough Rider "Teddy" JH - RIP

Back the original post, some great links always come to my mind when thinking about dysplasia (or any polygenetic issue really-- I think allergies could be included here).
    http://www.offa.org/ed_faqs.html This one is about elbows and how the incidence *and* severity of the issue is often increased in the progeny if breeding one parent w/ Grade 1 elbows.
    http://www.britlabs.com/mating.htm This one (scroll to bottom of page) shows Labrador breeding pairs by OFA ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Adams View Post
    Pat, please explain what you mean. Are you saying that a carrier puppy has the potential to become an affected dog?
    Or are you referring to owner responsibility in breeding a carrier?
    Thanks.
    no i am not saying a carrier could become affected. i just think that if you had the litter tested the people that buy the pups have a right to know if it is clear or not. also if parents have any problems with hips eyes or what the hot thing to check on at that time. i would buy a carrier pup if it was one i wanted.but if there were 2 litters of the same quality i think i would get the clear one. i look at it like if i was buying a truck and 2 were sitting side by side one was perfect and the other has hail damage i think 99% of us would get the perfect one.

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    I have done every available test on my dog, and will continue to do so as new ones become available.
    While he still may produce an unhealthy puppy or two at some point, at least I will know it was not because I failed to make use of simple testing that is available. I would be horrified to find out a "defective puppy" could have been prevented if I had only bothered to do a simple blood test.
    JMO.
    Well said! You owe it to your breed to do as much health testing as is available. Especially if you are going to breed. At least then you are armed with as much information as possible. AND, posting the test results to an OPEN public health database like OFA, regardless of outcome, is the right thing to do.
    UKC CH, URO3, UMJCH, UCA Karbits TNT Rudolph Valentino CDI, RAE, JH, Amer. CD, WC, PCA WC (x2), TT, CGN, HIC

Quote Originally Posted by pat addis View Post
    no i am not saying a carrier could become affected. i just think that if you had the litter tested the people that buy the pups have a right to know if it is clear or not. also if parents have any problems with hips eyes or what the hot thing to check on at that time. i would buy a carrier pup if it was one i wanted.but if there were 2 litters of the same quality i think i would get the clear one. i look at it like if i was buying a truck and 2 were sitting side by side one was perfect and the other has hail damage i think 99% of us would get the perfect one.
    OK I get it.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport