The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: A “be kind to animals” conundrum.

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • rap on window and shoo kitty

18 25.00%
  • cry havoc and let slip the dogs

54 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A “be kind to animals” conundrum.

Default A “be kind to animals” conundrum.

My back yard, actually my front yard, the way the drive way and building is set, is fenced. My dogs cannot get out that easily. I can view most of the yard through the kitchen windows. At first light I let my dogs out loose in the yard to air and frolic before breakfast. For the past week or so Scooby Do (Old psycho rescue Chessie) has been coming back in with cat poo breath. Now he is a master level turd burglar, so really cannot be blamed. And as stated, the yard is fenced. The turds are coming to him.
    So just now the puppy Loco, sitting at my side at the desk. Looked out of the kitchen window and “Made Game” as they say. So I looked out and finally see what is bringing Scooby Do kitty cat poo to snack upon. So I just now snapped a photo with my telephone.
    I ask, what would you all do? As I see it my options are to rap lightly on the window pane to shoo the kitty away, or. Walk to the kitchen door, Cry “Havoc!” and let slip the dogs of war that this foul deed shall smell above the earth with carrion men, groaning for burial.

Last edited by Ken Bora; 01-28-2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: left out a word, sorry Bill :(
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

It looks well fed so it is probably a neighbor's cat as opposed to a feral cat. If it is the former I would give the neighbor a friendly call. If it is the latter I would live trap it and turn it over to animal control or the local animal shelter. Feral cats who are trapped and spayed or neutered usually do not return to the scene of the crime.
    Last edited by EdA; 01-28-2013 at 08:53 AM.

It looks like someone's pet kitty, it is very cute. Don't hurt the kitty!

Ask the neighbors to feed Mr Kitty organic, that way your pups are getting a healthy snack.
    Last edited by mitty; 01-28-2013 at 08:26 AM.
    Renee P

I am the wrong guy to ask. I hate cats. Duckdon

are kisses from an old Chessie that has flossed with organic kitty poo better than kisses from regular kitty poo, Renee?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    are kisses from an old Chessie that has flossed with organic kitty poo better than kisses from regular kitty poo, Renee?
    I've always felt that the dogs who snack on it from a litterbox are at least getting some "grit" which perhaps functions like those additives premium foods allegedly add to help remove tartar and keep teeth clean.

Not a cat fan either, even tho we have a house cat that never goes out.
    I say loose the hounds, or use the supressor!
    Out side cats play helll on wildlife. They have no business outside.
    Just my. 02.

Id turn the dogs loose. The kitty would be up and over the fence before they could catch it and would be less likely to come back. I dont want kitties in my yard at all. They have gotten in my shed a couple years ago when I was gone for the winter and it still smells in there.
    The only Kitty I want in my yard is my 9 year old lab whose name is Kitty.

Ken, I appreciate your conundrum and I have to one up you.......A week ago, while home sick with a major case of bronchitis, I was chillin with my dogs, when I heard a meow at my back door...of course the dogs sounded the alarm and I went to investigate. My back door leads to my woodshed, so I so carefully opened the door, took a look and sure enough, there is a Large, Yellow tiger cat sitting on the top step....but...not just any yellow tiger...the cat was my mother's cat that went "feral" in 2006! You see the only person who could get near the cat was my mother, and when we placed my mother in Assisted living, we could not catch the cat, subsequently I fed it for about 6 months, but then it disappeared only to be seen occasionally in a fields near her home. Well, my mother passed in 2009, I am now living in the house since 2011 with my three dogs..... and OMG here is her cat....what to do! I tried to ignore it for about 5 min, then my "good samaritan" kicked in and I decided I had to feed it....I gave it some PPP as that is all I had. I thought to myself that if that cat was brave enough to present itself to a housefull of dogs, then he deserved to be fed....Although not a cat lover, I can't believe the old fella was still around! I fed him two days and nights in a row, and then he disappeared again...I saw him in the tree one day while I had the dogs out to play, but haven't seen him since.....Maybe my mother sent him over just to say hello.....Anyway, I didn't "unleash" the dogs of war, even if I did I think that old boy would outsmart them!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Not sure 'bout that Ken, but I'm guessin' they 'rank' right up there with 'ol duck breath...

Old ducks in da freezer, regards.
    Tom Rogers; Owned and Handled by Al Capone's Magic Patriot Son - Riot
    [FC/AFC Big Alfonse Capone of Mo-Kan x Dominators Magic Avalon]

R.I.P. Grandpaws FC AFC HRCH Taylorlab Downtown "Dusty" Brown MH & FC CFC CAFC Taylorlabs "Magic" Trick MH CD
    Riot's Career
    on EE