The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: A “be kind to animals” conundrum.

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • rap on window and shoo kitty

18 25.00%
  • cry havoc and let slip the dogs

54 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A “be kind to animals” conundrum.

ask local chinese restaurant how to handle the problem .....Confucius always right regards...........
    SEMPER FI . FROM MY COLD , DEAD HANDS .

www.bashakilllabradors.com

Wow Lennie,
    That is kinda spooky. Do you think your Moms cat has been wild all that time?

and all............. I kinda expected a few more Shakespeare quotes in response.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I have no idea, but I love the original post.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

What usually works for me is to walk out real friendly with a container of cold water behind my back and then dump it directly over the cat. It usually doesn't take a second baptism... of course, that's for the neighbors pet cats.. one cannot get close enough to the strays, so I let out one of my dogs that loves the chase, and over the fence they go...normally don't come back for round two.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    It looks well fed so it is probably a neighbor's cat as opposed to a feral cat. If it is the former I would give the neighbor a friendly call. If it is the latter I would live trap it and turn it over to animal control or the local animal shelter. Feral cats who are trapped and spayed or neutered usually do not return to the scene of the crime.

Tell you what if it was me I sure as Hell would not return to the scene of the crime.

Regards

Turn em loose. its your yard, thered be nothing wrong.. otherwise, yea, trap him and take him to the pound- if you talk to the neighbors they'll know it was you if the cat diasspears.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Quote Originally Posted by DKR View Post
    Tell you what if it was me I sure as Hell would not return to the scene of the crime.
    Regards
    2 queens, one feral and one tame chose my place to raise their kittens last spring. I caught the feral one and her 3 kittens which were probably 3 weeks old, spayed her and released her. I kept the kittens at the clinic where they were socialized and found homes. Trapped the tame one, spayed and confined for a few days while I attempted to catch the kittens but but her kittens were older, I fed them for several days but could never catch them. Took momma back and released her and she left with her kittens. A few months later one of the males decided to take up residence in my barn. He was trapped, vaccinated, marked as feral,and neutered, he hasn't been back and this has been my experience over the years with feral or semi tame cats who are looking for a new gig.

I like cats and have 3 pets all who were abandoned as kittens, two are full time house cats, one goes in and out. They are vaccinated and are parasite free. Some people seem to think that because they live in the country they can acquire a cat and leave it to it's own devices which usually means it finds someone to feed it. Irresponsible pet ownership annoys the hell out of me.

Ever since we got a new neighbor with two big fat kitty kats, my oldest dog no longer eats pup poop! I'll take the lesser of two evils. Those must be some savvy cats though. There are no fences between our houses, and the cats go out every evening and morning. So far there has been zero confrontation. I guess my guys like the kitties.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    ...... I kinda expected a few more Shakespeare quotes in response.
    "Now is the winter of Bora's discontent."
    "To free, or not to free the chessies: that is the question."
    "The world is grown so bad, that cats make poop where eagles dare not perch."
    "The fault, dear Ken, is not in the cat, but in its owner."
    "Cats die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once."
    "Et tu, cat?"

I would have animal control take care of it, granted it is your yard and scooby doo may love cat poo, wouldnt let him out on the kitty cat - have you ever seen a dog get ahold of a feral cat?

Cats dont like to be in dogs mouths - Dogs eyes are close to their mouth, cats claws are sharp. my high school friends dog got its eyes ripped up pretty bad was blind in one eye and close to it in the other.

good luck
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser