The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: A “be kind to animals” conundrum.

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • rap on window and shoo kitty

18 25.00%
  • cry havoc and let slip the dogs

54 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A “be kind to animals” conundrum.

Live trap. Treat it the way you would want your dog treated if it ever got lost, it might be chipped! If not adopted or......

Ken, I do not know if the cat has been "wild" all this time? He looked a little rough. Funny, I have been living in the house now for about a year and a half and I have not seen the cat in the neighborhood or in the fields anywhere on my farm. When he first ran away, I used to see him when I was out hunting sometimes.

But it wouldn't be the first and I am sure probably not the last time my mom has sent me a sign!

Lennie

I'm not the guy to ask what to do about a cat shizzing in my yard.I HATE cats. If a cat was shizzing in my yard,it wouldn't last long.There seems to be a double standard,you're expected to control your dog at all times but its ok for a damn cat to run free all over the country. I don't think so.

So the remaining question is----- If you are going to trap and neuter them- What is the conundrum for?

Not like they are going to need it regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    A few months later one of the males decided to take up residence in my barn. He was trapped, vaccinated, marked as feral,and neutered, he hasn't been back....
    I wouldn't come back either....
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    It looks well fed so it is probably a neighbor's cat as opposed to a feral cat. If it is the former I would give the neighbor a friendly call. If it is the latter I would live trap it and turn it over to animal control or the local animal shelter. Feral cats who are trapped and spayed or neutered usually do not return to the scene of the crime.

Not a fan of cats myself, but I'd have to agree this is probably the best option. After that, fair game to turn the dogs loose!

I find it generally to be true that those who profess to "hating" or disliking cats have never owned one. I never had a cat as a kid but have had one or more my entire adult life and find them to be interesting and enjoyable companions who are very little trouble to maintain as compared to dogs of which I have several.

Cat crap is like candy to dogs it seems. There's rarely any crap in our litter box...the neighbors basset hound keeps it cleaned up.

Have you thought about just not kissing your dogs...?

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

I have two, three, sometimes four cats. The number fluctuates due to environmental conditions and related hazards. Orange ones seem to have a longer life span than other colors for some reason. Currenly two elusive orange ones and one black and orange. Haven't seen the two kittens in quite a while. Golden Eagles are back in town again so, I imagine another cat or two will disapear soon before the next litter shows up again.