The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: A “be kind to animals” conundrum.

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • rap on window and shoo kitty

18 25.00%
  • cry havoc and let slip the dogs

54 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: A “be kind to animals” conundrum.

I find it appalling that so many on a site who respect dogs can have so much contempt for another living thing whose existence is not of their doing. Domestic cats have no more or no less rights to life than any other domestic animal including dogs, that so many seem to feel the power to prioritize their existence according to their view of life is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I find it appalling that so many on a site who respect dogs can have so much contempt for another living thing whose existence is not of their doing. Domestic cats have no more or no less rights to life than any other domestic animal including dogs, that so many seem to feel the power to prioritize their existence according to their view of life is sad.
    I agree, Thank you for speaking up. I wish I had.
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.

Me either Doc calico on the back of my recliner, manx on the back of the L couch, and 16 yr old on my wifes lap. Not to mention stray dog on her on her bed in the corner. I do know this not all people share the milk of human kindness for all animals. Hell alot don't even have the milk of human kindness for each other.......
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Interesting. It seems to me where each of us draws the line is not only subjective, but culturally relative as well. Some people domesticate pigs, others eat horses and dogs. I would not be comfortable categorically and absolutely criticizing others for where they draw their line, especially on a Forum that condones the killing of birds for training and competition.

In my case, I have in my lifetime owned some fabulous cats as pets. If I thought anything would happen to the cat, I would not release the dogs on it.

As others have said, the point is to scare the heck out the animal so it does not return. In my experience more effective than confronting the neighbor.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Quote Originally Posted by AmiableLabs View Post
    Interesting. It seems to me where each of us draws the line is not only subjective, but culturally relative as well. Some people domesticate pigs, others eat horses and dogs. I would not be comfortable categorically and absolutely criticizing others for where they draw their line, especially on a Forum that condones the killing of birds for training and competition.

In my case, I have in my lifetime owned some fabulous cats as pets. If I thought anything would happen to the cat, I would not release the dogs on it.

As others have said, the point is to scare the heck out the animal so it does not return. In my experience more effective than confronting the neighbor.
    Kevin I think you totally missed Dr. Eds. point. We all use animals in one form or another it is how we have survived. His point is the lack of appreciation for an animals life as if it doens't matter......afterall its just a cat. Sorry if I am wrong Dr. Ed.

Kevin and I have disagreed before and it is a fundamental difference in the philosophy of life. There is not a wrong or right but to compare herds and flocks who have been kept for thousands of years as livestock to companions and pets is in my view inaccurate to this discussion.

In your neck of the woods Ken, I'm thinking .22 short
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Me too Darrin if your lab is pooping in my yard..........

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Neither funny nor clever and very disappointing coming from you.

So in all seriousness, Dr.--

I don't hate cats and I would not let my dogs chase them, but I have a whole parade of felines that stalk the birds, then poop in my front flower bed, mark my car tire, continue up the driveway, do their daily rounds, and then come back through the driveway, maybe the car, poop in the flower bed, and then hang out under the bird feeder the rest of the day--the big white one with the gray tail is pretty used to walking away with some booty.

I don't like the poop, I hate that my dogs will do almost anything to get to it, I despise the marking, I am not overly fond of the bird killing...

Other than ignore it, or fantasize about a simple chase doing the trick and then ignoring it in the end anyway (which I am assuming is Mr. Bora's plan or I wouldn't have participated in the milder cat-bashing), can an individual do anything about trespassing felines?
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH