The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: A “be kind to animals” conundrum.

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • rap on window and shoo kitty

18 25.00%
  • cry havoc and let slip the dogs

54 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: A “be kind to animals” conundrum.

My buddy had a neighbor cat crapping in his flower beds. He tried getting it with the bb gun, throwing aluminum cans at it etc. The cat shat in the same place under his front window in the flower bed all the time. To the point walking up to his front door smelled like a litter box. He dug out his Dad's old hot wire(real ones with the screw in regulators) and put up a short little electric fence two rows high around his flower bed on his front walk.

He said he cried tears of joy and laughter the first time he heard the cat screaming from his front porch all the way through the neighborhood. Said he heard the cat catch the wire twice or, maybe two different cats. He cleaned up his flower beds, put in some new bark and hasn't had a cat problem again.

Less than leathal force is a popular term nowadays....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    My buddy had a neighbor cat crapping in his flower beds. He tried getting it with the bb gun, throwing aluminum cans at it etc. The cat shat in the same place under his front window in the flower bed all the time. To the point walking up to his front door smelled like a litter box. He dug out his Dad's old hot wire(real ones with the screw in regulators) and put up a short little electric fence two rows high around his flower bed on his front walk.

He said he cried tears of joy and laughter the first time he heard the cat screaming from his front porch all the way through the neighborhood. Said he heard the cat catch the wire twice or, maybe two different cats. He cleaned up his flower beds, put in some new bark and hasn't had a cat problem again.

Less than leathal force is a popular term nowadays....
    He should have compensated his neighbor for the free fertilizer.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    He should have compensated his neighbor for the free fertilizer.
    Grandpa's turkey farm had a lot of cat fertilizer put in the ground over the years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/sc...ller.html?_r=0

And this from yesterday's paper. Has it ever occurred to any cat owner to try to "train" and "contain" their cats like we do dogs? Or is it just one of those things that truly can't be done?
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

It is really easy. I've been doing it for close to 20 years. Put a litter box in the utility room and don't let the cat outside. Problem solved.
    Don't bother to just be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.
    William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Mills View Post
    It is really easy. I've been doing it for close to 20 years. Put a litter box in the utility room and don't let the cat outside. Problem solved.
    My Lord, if I did that with every cat that poops in my flower bed I'd have 10 cats in my basement!!!
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    My Lord, if I did that with every cat that poops in my flower bed I'd have 10 cats in my basement!!!
    I'm talking about with my own cat. Then he doesn't eat birds or bother the neighbors or get killed by the dogs or coyotes.
    Don't bother to just be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.
    William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    You're not out of date on this one. This should help with the memory. Spelling it correctly doesn't hurt either-

http://www.wildamerica.com/

Marty Stouffer's Wild America.
    He's the guy who talked so ffffaaaassssttttt! You musta been a teenager watching that program .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

I'm talking about with my own cat. Then he doesn't eat birds or bother the neighbors or get killed by the dogs or coyotes.
    (I know. I was kidding. Sorry--I might not post enough to do tongue in cheek, I suppose!)
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

I have a litter box on my porch, cats have a cat door. I personally think training a dog to leave WHATEVER animal you tell it to is a good idea, my dogs learn manners from the cats, and friends send their puppies to learn not to kill cats. Which, in many areas might save their lives. Do NOT chase the cats!
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.