The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 168

Thread: Fear of Gun Control

  1. #81
    Senior Member zeus3925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    West Twin Cities Metro, MN
    Posts
    2,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sick lids View Post
    Zeus I fully respect all of your opinions and agree with many of them to a point but passing laws that punish or restrict law abiding people for crimes that others commit is nonsense. The idea that the government is going to have any control of guns in the very near future is laughable as technology will always out pace laws. For instance google "defence distributed" and tell me how they can stop that, it has gone world wide, and the tech for making these out of metal is already here just very expensive.
    I don't see background checks or limited capacity magazines as punishing or a restriction on law abiders. However, I feel we should choke off the ability nuts and felons to obtain firearms without a background check.

    If you have different ideas I'd like to hear them. If we don't get a handle on mass killings and gun violence, we will see the either the real or de facto repeal of the second amendment as the forces that want to abolish gun ownership will gain strength with every Columbine and Sandy Hook.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 01-28-2013 at 09:42 PM.
    Zeus

    I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

  2. #82
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    WOW, some of you people are insane!!! Really, the President? Would you say recent events of slaughter of innocent people might have anything to do with it. Good God man, if you honestly believe you will lose every gun you own before you are planted 6 feet in the ground I think I have a bridge for you to buy. Are you going to lose some of your guns? Yeah probably, as well you should. Are you going to lose them all? Not a chance.

    There must be lots and lots of people on this forum who work in the media, because there is a whole lot of sensationalism going on. Don't be so afraid of the shadow you live in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    Tell me what purpose an assault rifle has in the hands of Joe American?
    To begin with, let me say that I don't have any guns or ammo nor do I know anyone who does (shut up you idiots )

    Now, why should law abiding gun owners lose possessions which they are legally entitled to own? Although I don't own one, I had the opportunity to fire an AR a few weeks ago and man that was FU-UH-UNNN!!! The part about Feinstein's bill that really scares me is that for the first time, they are enumerating what guns we CAN own. NOT the way I interpret "shall not be infringed". What manny people seem to believe is that the govt gives US citizens the right to own guns. That is not what the 2nd amendment says/. The second amendment says that owning guns is a right (like the other "rights enumerated in the "BILL OF RIGHTS") and that the government cannot legitimately deny us that right, Period.

    As to the purpose of light, scary looking (to some folks) semi-auto long guns in the hands of hunters, well, they have become very popular in my area for shooting hogs from helicopters (we have a plague of feral hogs here and this is proving to be a viable management technique). Now, I can't say that there are a lot of folks doing that as it is not a poor-man's sport, but there are those who can afford it, and so that's one example. Considering the low recoil and small bullet, I suspect that they also have potential agains prairie dogs and other small game. Did I mention that they are really sweet to shoot?
    Last edited by HPL; 01-28-2013 at 09:58 PM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

  3. #83
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    If you have different ideas I'd like to hear them. If we don't get a handle on mass killings and gun violence, we will see the either the real or de facto repeal of the second amendment as the forces that want to abolish gun ownership will gain strength with every Columbine and Sandy Hook.
    First, we don't need to get a handle on "mass shootings'. Statistically, they are almost non-existant and represent such a small hazard in the US as to make all the hoopla almost ludicrous. Gun violence is another matter, and unfortunately we can't really discuss that because it mostly occurs in poor (black) urban areas.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

  4. #84
    Senior Member Aaron Homburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Natoma, Kansas
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by savage25xtreme View Post
    Yes, our local gun shop which has insanely high prices cant keep rifles of any kind on the shelves.

    Let's talk about the choice to go with a .22 pistol... I was about to pull the trigger on a GunX 209 primer gun. Why did you pick a 22 blank pistol?
    Went with the .22 due to cost and I can use it for other things as well.
    Well Meaning Thread Regards,

    Aaron
    AFC Iron Lines Sergeant Pepper "Pepper"
    FC FTCH Westwood's Sunday Silence "Buck"
    Sweet Swingin' Fred MH ***

    www.southforkkennelsllc.com

  5. #85
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Homburg View Post
    Went with the .22 due to cost and I can use it for other things as well.
    Well Meaning Thread Regards,

    Aaron
    Did kinda go rogue for a while there, didn't it?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

  6. #86
    Senior Member zeus3925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    West Twin Cities Metro, MN
    Posts
    2,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    First, we don't need to get a handle on "mass shootings'. Statistically, they are almost non-existant and represent such a small hazard in the US as to make all the hoopla almost ludicrous. Gun violence is another matter, and unfortunately we can't really discuss that because it mostly occurs in poor (black) urban areas.
    I don't agree that gun violence is a black issue at all. I have seen gun violence in every type of cultural setting. Even so it is an issue of the destruction of human life. La Pierre is right about the cultural issues of gun violence. We are making the image as of the dude that carries heat as the mean Mother that rules the block. But, into this mix his answer is more guns. Don"t talk to you neighbor, fear him instead. Fear begets more fear and that translates into more sales for the manufacturers.
    Zeus

    I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

  7. #87
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    I don't agree that gun violence is a black issue at all. I have seen gun violence in every type of cultural setting. Even so it is an issue of the destruction of human life. La Pierre is right about the cultural issues of gun violence. We are making the image as of the dude that carries heat as the mean Mother that rules the block. But, into this mix his answer is more guns. Don"t talk to you neighbor, fear him instead. Fear begets more fear and that translates into more sales for the manufacturers.

    I'm not saying that white folks don't use guns to commit violent acts, but everything I have read (no I don't have the references) seems to indicate that gun violence is a disproportionate problem in urban black settings. NO, it's NOT a genetic thing, it's not because their skin is black, but something about the culture of those populations appears to lead them to place a lower value on human life.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

  8. #88
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    I'm not saying that white folks don't use guns to commit violent acts, but everything I have read (no I don't have the references) seems to indicate that gun violence is a disproportionate problem in urban black settings. NO, it's NOT a genetic thing, it's not because their skin is black, but something about the culture of those populations appears to lead them to place a lower value on human life.
    Drugs... And gangs. Chicago. Toughest gun control laws in the country... 500+ murders last year. More gun control laws there will not do squat.
    Bill Davis

  9. #89
    Senior Member zeus3925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    West Twin Cities Metro, MN
    Posts
    2,274

    Default

    If you excuse the metaphor here, there is no magic bullet. Total gun bans will not eliminate violence. On this most of us agree.

    The culture has within it many streams that feed a river of violence. There are too many movies and video games feeding too many fatherless children false images of what manhood should look like. Add to that the desperation of urban poverty and flavor it with a mixture of drugs and you have a nasty soup. But, even kids growing up in suburbia are fed nonstop portrail of gun violence.
    Zeus

    I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

  10. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lebanon, OH
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    I don't see background checks or limited capacity magazines as punishing or a restriction on law abiders. However, I feel we should choke off the ability nuts and felons to obtain firearms without a background check.

    If you have different ideas I'd like to hear them. If we don't get a handle on mass killings and gun violence, we will see the either the real or de facto repeal of the second amendment as the forces that want to abolish gun ownership will gain strength with every Columbine and Sandy Hook.

    We should use the same standards as the government now has on buying fertilizer which was use in the Oklahoma City bombing. This was the largest mass murder is U.S. history carrier out by a single individual. We could start banning the mentally ill from farming but I don't remember ever having to get a background check for diesel fuel, etc, etc.

    Background check only applies to U.S. citizens. Fast and furious purchases go to the express checkout line. 12 items or more PLEASE.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •