The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Crate Training - Properly

Default Crate Training - Properly

I've got a 8 week old male, and I picked a crate up today and I wanna use this to help ease the potty training stages. I know there's tons of different stuff if you use the search button, but I've read so many different things that I just don't know which approach to take. Which is the least stressful way for the pup? Thanks!

Here's something I wrote a long time ago that I still do more or less. (although I have abandoned the gun shooting thing, choosing to get pup crazy to retrieve and then have someone shoot at a distance with a small blank pistol to be associated with the retrieve)

http://www.retrievertraining.net/crate/kennel.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Here's something I wrote a long time ago that I still do more or less. (although I have abandoned the gun shooting thing, choosing to get pup crazy to retrieve and then have someone shoot at a distance with a small blank pistol to be associated with the retrieve)

http://www.retrievertraining.net/crate/kennel.htm
    very detailed, I'll definitely be trying this. One question though, he's already been home with me for about a day and a half. Should I put his food bowl in his kennel and give the command the same? Or should I introduce it differently since he's been here

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas2256 View Post
    very detailed, I'll definitely be trying this. One question though, he's already been home with me for about a day and a half. Should I put his food bowl in his kennel and give the command the same? Or should I introduce it differently since he's been here
    Consistency is what's important. Some puppies dive into the bowl and tear it up. Some can be picky eaters. You'll find yourself making adjustments in whatever you do. Dogs are pretty malleable so I'd suggest you pick a format and plan that suits you and your schedule - and something that you can keep fairly consistent.