The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Master Hunt Test Set-Ups

Willie, Just a quick question. How often have you seen a cold honor before? Had never heard of it. This will be my first year running Master.
    Oncini

Quote Originally Posted by Oncini View Post
    Willie, Just a quick question. How often have you seen a cold honor before? Had never heard of it. This will be my first year running Master.
    Oncini
    I've seen it once and heard of them being run in the Pacific NW...

I judged this test last year, and my fellow co-judge was known for running cold honors. I had heard of them before, but never seen it. I told him I have never seen one before, so we set one up for the first series. Just something to be aware of/train for. Hope it helps!
    ~Willie Alderson

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi

I haven't seen it. I know I don't like shooting fliers inside of gun stations.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Welch View Post
    Willie, on the third series double with a walk up, when was the diversion thrown? Was this after they picked up bird one or two?
    Thanks for sending these out. We will try similar set up's at our HRC training day this weekend.
    The diversion (#3) what shot on the return of the first bird picked up. Normally it was after the go-bird was picked up. I don't think any dog picked up the marks out of order.
    ~Willie Alderson

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Alderson View Post
    I've seen it once and heard of them being run in the Pacific NW...

I judged this test last year, and my fellow co-judge was known for running cold honors. I had heard of them before, but never seen it. I told him I have never seen one before, so we set one up for the first series. Just something to be aware of/train for. Hope it helps!
    How did that work out for you and your co-judge? Did you get the answers you were looking for? Do you feel you asked "the right question"?

Although cold honors are perfectly legal, the dogs end up seeing the marks twice from 2 different lines. In most tests moving the line 10 feet results in a much different picture for the dog to process. 10 feet is about my minimum seperation between the working dog and the honoring dog. And then there's the no bird problem that may arise.....-Paul
    Last edited by paul young; 01-31-2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typo
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Willie one more question. In your set up with the cold honor, if I am dog #1 and am doing the walk-up, what can I say to my dog as she is not going to pick up the flyer? Can I say "No, Sit", just " Sit", or blow a sit whistle ? Thanks
    Oncini

Quote Originally Posted by Oncini View Post
    Willie one more question. In your set up with the cold honor, if I am dog #1 and am doing the walk-up, what can I say to my dog as she is not going to pick up the flyer? Can I say "No, Sit", just " Sit", or blow a sit whistle ? Thanks
    Oncini
    Treat it as a regular walk up. When the bird is in the air you can either blow the whistle or say "sit". I believe the rule book says you get to choose one. All that is different is instead of calling for dog 1 to retrieve the bird, dog 2 is called instead. After the dog has been released to retrieve, your dog is now honoring, you can talk to your dog as long as it doesn't interfere with the working dog. You could say anything to your dog...after the judge releases the working dog...as long as it isn't intimidating or interfering with the working dog. Hope that helps!
    ~Willie Alderson

Very nicely done and helpful. Alway need ideas on creating set ups. I tend to done same type of set ups over and over.
    Mean what you say, say what you mean, and by all means stand
    behind what you say. A man is only as good as his word.
    www.sslabradors.com

Thank you for taking the time to illustrate a few Master set ups. I do have a judging question about the cold honor. What if any penalty is there for hunting the flyer fall area by the new working dog? Obviously it was picked up already but does this constitute "hunting an old fall" or simply the dog "honoring his nose".
    Mark Land

Thanks for sharing! I always like looking over other's set ups to help get new ideas. Does anyone know if I can some how save a thread so I can come back and look over this stuff at a later date?