The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: adjusting ur dogs back????

If a chiropractor has helped you, great, don't be offended.

I've never understood chiropractors for people or animals. If you're on RTF you've probably "disassembled" an animal or two, as a hunter.

I've skinned and butchered many and have no idea how a bone in a spine can move out of place, and saying it's possible how can it be adjusted back into place? Pretty much most of the muscle mass and a myriad of sinew in the animal is holding the spine together.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by tank47 View Post
    i have a buddy who is goin to school to be a chriopractor and he tells me that they adjust dogs and that i should when i have mine. He does it to his dog everytime he goes to the chrio. I laughed at him, but was wondering are there more people out there that do that or is it kinda a bunch a foofy and not needed like i think?
    I take mine to a chiro. At first I thought it was questionable but with all the twisting, turning, running over uneven ground, jumping yada yada yada, from what he showed me and explained how many injuries can be avoided by keeping them in proper alignment, I dont feel that way anymore. I wont tell to seek it but as mentioned find one who is certified if you choose to go that direction.
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    I'll never go to another chiropractor again myself, I am worse off for the experience, why would I subject my dog to it.
    Im currently in Chiropractic school and before I started I had mixed emotions about this type of medical practice. Being raised in a medical family I questioned a lot of things and philosophies that were presented. But after being in school for almost two years I have been enlightened and have taken a lot of good from the profession. In response to you having a bad experience I'll say this, there are some Chiropractors that are very good and knowledgeable and there are some that probably shouldn't practice, just like there are some Dentist that are good and some that are bad. Every person can benefit from seeing a Chiropractor as can every dog.

Quote Originally Posted by pupaloo View Post
    It does help some dogs with specific problems-but needs to be dome by someone who has experience, understands dog anatomy, and who has talked to the dog's vet so they understand exactly what the problem is. Letting someone adjust your dog who doesn't know what they are doing can do damage-don't do it.
    Most states require certification but even in those that don't I would recommend finding someone certified through the AVCA. These are both DVM's and DC's who have further training in the specified area of adjusting animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by riskyriver View Post
    but would NOT use just any chiropractor on my dogs.
    I agree, find someone trained and certified through AVCA.
    Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverLuvr View Post
    I dont know what the laws are elsewhere....but in Wisconsin Chiropractic cannot be done to any dog by someone who isnt a DVM.
    I'm almost positive that this isn't true. DC's with the proper training and certification can as well. I know a few DC's with animal only practices in WI.
    People often compare one over the other but the truth is the training involved will make either a great choice. Many DC's train the DVM's how to adjust. Just have peace of mind that anyone that has gone through the cert. process will be completely proficient and knowledgable. In fact, I would argue that the anatomy is the easier part, learning to adjust requires hands on aspects that can take years to master. How fast, how hard, how far to thrust all become somewhat an art and feel thing. Some will be better than others at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    I'll never go to another chiropractor again myself, I am worse off for the experience, why would I subject my dog to it.
    And this is completely rational, you know because if a dentist screwed up you should just let your teeth rot out instead of going to another dentist, bad mechanic? Nope better just put your car on blocks. And by GAWD, I will never buy another pair of shoes because of the way that last salesman touched my calf.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    If a chiropractor has helped you, great, don't be offended.

I've never understood chiropractors for people or animals. If you're on RTF you've probably "disassembled" an animal or two, as a hunter.

I've skinned and butchered many and have no idea how a bone in a spine can move out of place, and saying it's possible how can it be adjusted back into place? Pretty much most of the muscle mass and a myriad of sinew in the animal is holding the spine together.
    John, the problem with your theory here is that it is based on a completely misunderstood idea of what an adjustment is. I'm not going to get in the weeds with specifics but I will tell you that I never tell patients that I am popping things back in place because that not what I do. Just know that structurally I've had patients with scoliosis that "straighten", loss of cervical curves restored, and many other structural anomalies that correct measurably with care.
    Chiropractic has been around for more than a century and continues to strengthen as a profession because it works. If it were just a gimmic it would have long since gone away.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

Dunno...some females might just need a good corset

whalebone or neoprene, whatever works.

Achiro, are you a canine chiro too?

MG

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    Achiro, are you a canine chiro too?

MG
    No. I've thought about it several times but I've just not been sure I could commit to the enormous amount of time it takes to go through the training and certification process not to mention the annual stuff required to maintain it.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."