The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dog pulls to the line

Default dog pulls to the line

My male 18 month old lab is good in the yard and training day at the local club. But at the hunt test he's been pulling me to the line. I can stop and heal him with some stern commands. Whats the best training to correct this situation? Thanks

Morgan Spector drill for heeling
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

You might do a search on "line manners" in the advanced search area. There have been many threads on line manners.

This also demonstrates a lack of training for hunt test conditions. This probably has been something that you have allowed, not realized and now your dog knows he can behave that way without any repercussions.

Definitely set the expectation high, demand the control you know you need to compete and do not allow him the pleasure of getting a bird until he behaves 100%.

Good luck.
    KARMA - The return on your entries will increase the sooner you decide to contribute one of your weekends to be in the judge's chair and judge others who have done the same for you.

If I were a betting man I would bet he's not really alright in training or training days either.
    Darrin Greene

Your going to throw away your money later, if you don't fix it now. Later when everything is off leash, you'll regret not fixing it. You have to join a training group, and it needs to be a big one with lots of people so there are lots of distractions. You also need to discipline you dog when it does not listen to you. You need to have folks around that understand what you are trying to do. That way they can be very critical of what your doing. Odds are you are missing something.
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    Cherokee Foothills HRC

Quote Originally Posted by bnivek View Post
    My male 18 month old lab is good in the yard and training day at the local club. But at the hunt test he's been pulling me to the line. I can stop and heal him with some stern commands. Whats the best training to correct this situation? Thanks
    the best? simple, stop entering tests
    but that ain't happening, we all know.
    you are building a "Test Wise Dog"! dogs get in a rut at tests. They know they will get off the truck, pee on a tree they never sniffed and get birds Boom Boom Boom sure thing every time! And nothin' bad is gonna happen to um.
    you need to find new groups, fresh grounds, lots of trucks, and with Rover on a rope do your best try at OB stuff well in back of the running line while other dogs play fetch. Let him sit and watch and learn every bird in not his. Let him walk up and walk away from the line and learn every time he goes to line, he may or may not get a bird. You will need to do this for no-birds and honors anyway.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

OH I just seen, your first post. Welcome to the RTF!!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Do you train with a holding blind? I had to start doing that and strictly enforcing obedience.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

X2 on joining a club! Everyone there has gone through some of the things Your dealing with. And welcome aboard!

Uh, I thought they were just helping me get to the line. You mean they aren't supposed to do that?
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth