RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

dog pulls to the line

4K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  KwickLabs 
#1 ·
My male 18 month old lab is good in the yard and training day at the local club. But at the hunt test he's been pulling me to the line. I can stop and heal him with some stern commands. Whats the best training to correct this situation? Thanks

#3 ·
You might do a search on "line manners" in the advanced search area. There have been many threads on line manners.

This also demonstrates a lack of training for hunt test conditions. This probably has been something that you have allowed, not realized and now your dog knows he can behave that way without any repercussions.

Definitely set the expectation high, demand the control you know you need to compete and do not allow him the pleasure of getting a bird until he behaves 100%.

Good luck.

#5 ·
Your going to throw away your money later, if you don't fix it now. Later when everything is off leash, you'll regret not fixing it. You have to join a training group, and it needs to be a big one with lots of people so there are lots of distractions. You also need to discipline you dog when it does not listen to you. You need to have folks around that understand what you are trying to do. That way they can be very critical of what your doing. Odds are you are missing something.

#6 ·
My male 18 month old lab is good in the yard and training day at the local club. But at the hunt test he's been pulling me to the line. I can stop and heal him with some stern commands. Whats the best training to correct this situation? Thanks
the best? simple, stop entering tests :(
but that ain't happening, we all know.:cool:
you are building a "Test Wise Dog"! dogs get in a rut at tests. They know they will get off the truck, pee on a tree they never sniffed and get birds Boom Boom Boom sure thing every time! And nothin' bad is gonna happen to um.
you need to find new groups, fresh grounds, lots of trucks, and with Rover on a rope do your best try at OB stuff well in back of the running line while other dogs play fetch. Let him sit and watch and learn every bird in not his. Let him walk up and walk away from the line and learn every time he goes to line, he may or may not get a bird. You will need to do this for no-birds and honors anyway.

#11 ·
#12 ·
When you are training, don't go straight to the bucket and start throwing marks every time. Mix it up: walk past the bucket, walk in circles around the bucket, go to the bucket sit down blow your call sit there for a min and go back to the holding blind, work from a holding blind (if you're not), walk to the bucket slow and KEEP him at heel, throw a mark and then go back to the holding blind and don't let him have it. These are all just suggestions use them or don't some may help some may not. The dog is excited to get to the bucket and he knows the bucket means marks, plus tests are a very exciting atmosphere which adds to the antisipation for him (and you). As someone else mentioned, try to find a club or a group of guys to train with. If you can work with other people and dogs it will help with the excitment a bit. Good luck.

#13 ·
And you need to train coming out of a holding blind to line which is often not done when training - of truck to line. Should be off truck to holding blind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.