The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expanding Launcher Controls

Default Expanding Launcher Controls

Hello, I have trolled the threads on here for a bit, but this is my first post. I have a dog that I am training myself mostly for personal hunting but have plans to run UKC then AKC hunt tests. She is on the verge of running seasoned tests and I recently broke down and purchased a son of a gun winger and tritronics pro control. I have a friend that is going to lend me a box launcher and was hoping to run it of my 1-controler until I could purchase another set new or used. My question-has anyone used a cable longer than 15 ft and if so what type of cable was it? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Carlton Greer

welcome to RTF Carlton,
    I have only seen launchers cabled together in "banks" of multiple tossers at one gunning station. to be able to have a second toss to help a young dog.
    are you thinking a trying a double by running like a 100 yard cable? I don't think I would like to do that.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Ken, I was thinking more like 30-50 ft. I do walking singles now but throw them remotely. I was looking for something that would allow me to set-up give her two individual marks per set-up. At her level I would not throw a double that close together.

jargin issue,
    might you mean you are doing single retrieves with multiple gun stations by using 1 launcher with 3-5 stick men and moving the launcher from one gun station to another?

and you want to run a cable to another gun station?

walking singles are a live person with a pail of birds/bumpers walking in the field throwing for you
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Yes, what you described is what I would like to accomplish. I will not get my winger/control until tomorrow sorry for the confusion, currenlty I am my thrower during the week.

hhhmmmmm???
    I can say I do not know anyone that has done that.
    I wonder if a dog could trip up on the cable? like decoy lines?

I run two launchers with one Dogtra receiver and a 30 ft cable. Actually, I bought two 15 ft cables at Radio Shack, but usually plug them together. They were a standard "audio" cable of some sort. I bought "stereo" because that's all they had, but they work fine. (dogtra sells a 15 ft cable for a lot more than Radio Shack.)

Typically, I set this up with one SOG and one box launcher throwing opposite directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan View Post
    I run two launchers with one Dogtra receiver and a 30 ft cable. Actually, I bought two 15 ft cables at Radio Shack, but usually plug them together. They were a standard "audio" cable of some sort. I bought "stereo" because that's all they had, but they work fine. (dogtra sells a 15 ft cable for a lot more than Radio Shack.)

Typically, I set this up with one SOG and one box launcher throwing opposite directions.
    And that reliably operates the release?

I would think that there would be too much voltage drop with a 30' run of lightweight audio cable.

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    And that reliably operates the release?

I would think that there would be too much voltage drop with a 30' run of lightweight audio cable.
    I don't do this a LOT, but it has never failed. It might not work if the battery gets low, I don't know.

Thanks Keith, I called TriTronics and asked if I could connect two 15ft cables and they said they had never tried but thought it would work.