The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for lab puppy training video?

Question Suggestions for lab puppy training video?

Come the first of May we'll be picking up our lab puppy. We're excited and want to start learning about how to train her, and I thought we would start with a video.

She is to be my ten year old son's dog, and she'll go hunting with us every time we go, regardless of what we're hunting (except squirrels and rabbits, my daughter's Rat Terrier has that covered). We hunt deer now, will be adding turkey and ducks. So, eventually she'll be a versatile hunting dog. But I don't want to get ahead of ourselves and start the training on day one, we just want a good guide for how/when to get started with the basics, geared toward labs.

My number one criteria is that we use gentle training methods -- no shock collars, no harsh discipline. We're going to treat her as a member of our family, and I don't put shock collars on my kids...yet...

So, I want a video that my kids and I can all watch and learn from, just to get started. Any suggestions?

Jackie mertens DVD is good for puppy stages. But it can also contradict certain programs. Duck dog basics is a good veideo in my opinion. Almost any program you find will use shock collars and such. But if your already this sensitive to collars I'm not sure what to tell ya. They aren't like strapping your dog to an electric chair. Most dogs that are trained RIGHT will go crazy in excitement when the collar is placed on. It means we are going to do what I love- retrieving. The responsible use of a collar is a must for a well rounded retriever. It's not a violent form of punishment. It depends If you want a dog that simply sees somethin fall and gets it, ore one that knows not to drop it and run off so if thats what your after more power to ya. But that dog has to have some form of pressure to realize what it should and shouldnt do. Such as a collar, ear pinch, toe pinch, etc. you could wear yourself out telling your son to clean his room but if there is no reinforcement when he says no than you better have uhaul on speed dial to come get the clutter.
    "if it flies it dies.....if it sits there, it dies too" - Phil Robertson

Sound Beginnings Retriever Training DVD with Jackie Mertens would be my first choice for a lab puppy.
    Terry C.

You can't win if you don't play, every dog has his day

I have met more dogs that deserve better owners than owners that deserve better dogs

Sunny Dee Light MH QAA (Sunny)
    Sunny's Black Gold Texas Tea, Qual. Dog (Crude)

You would enjoy Ponderosa Kennels videos on you tube.He is really good at starting the pups with treat training.I believe its Pat Nolan.Good luck to ya and have fun!
    FC AFC Slider/Junie

Check out Bill Hillmann's Training a Retriever Puppy. Lots of useful info on here and some video clips on YouTube. His approach is different from other training DVDs. I just got my pup a few days ago and this is what I'm going with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas2256 View Post
    Check out Bill Hillmann's Training a Retriever Puppy. Lots of useful info on here and some video clips on YouTube. His approach is different from other training DVDs. I just got my pup a few days ago and this is what I'm going with.
    Click on Bill Hillmann's web page, and here's how he starts: "What could be more exciting than getting a brand new puppy? You have studied the bloodlines, made countless phone calls, talked to breeders, examined the consequences of genetic health issues, looked at photographs of the mothers and fathers of various litters. You have made a decision on whether you wanted a male or a female."

So I'm thinking, "this guy's a psychic." I'll have to get his video now...

Quote Originally Posted by 3dogs4kids View Post
    Click on Bill Hillmann's web page, and here's how he starts: "What could be more exciting than getting a brand new puppy? You have studied the bloodlines, made countless phone calls, talked to breeders, examined the consequences of genetic health issues, looked at photographs of the mothers and fathers of various litters. You have made a decision on whether you wanted a male or a female."

So I'm thinking, "this guy's a psychic." I'll have to get his video now...
    his philosophy alone makes it worthwhile. Sure there are other great DVDs out there by no means am I implying this is the only way to go. His way of training makes it fun for you and the pup by getting him going and loving retrieving and then balancing that with obedience training. Good luck on whatever you decide!

Also check out the classifieds on here. You can often find it for $80-100 and then resale later if wanted.

Can't disagree with you about shock collars, I just worry about my ability to do it right. Plus, I'm an old fashioned sort of guy, I'm figuring that if trainers got great results decades before shock collars were invented, maybe the collars are more or less a crutch, a shortcut. We have plenty of acreage, water, and time, so I want to make the training a good experience for all of us.

First congratulations.Puppies are fun. Today's dogs are where they are at BECAUSE of using collars. Many of the more sensitive thinking type dogs would have been washed out years ago.The dogs in those days for the most part, had to be able to "take it" in order to survive. Sling shots, bird shot, spike collar, and more. Later on one level collars came in but still pretty harsh in comparison to todays sophisticated ,multilevel intensity,etc collars. The level of training increases with the proper use of the collar. It's a misconception of how much a collar is used. Train first ,train some more,then reinforce, then use the collar to adjust attitude.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice ***
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy