The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for lab puppy training video?

Quote Originally Posted by 3dogs4kids View Post
    maybe the collars are more or less a crutch, a shortcut.
    thats probably not gonna be a good way to "win friends and influence people"....(Dale Carnegie)

good luck.

You could no wrong by starting here!
    http://www.gundogtrainingforum.co.uk...hp?f=6&t=12621
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

To the OP. I think Hillman's video would be ideal for you and your kids. It is casual, it is simple to implement, no need for special grounds or lots of equipment and most of all it is fun, for pup and people. But you should know, he does use an e collar at the appropriate time. You might think of it as "e collar lite". Somehow, I think the video will help you to appreciate the modern e collar and the lack of drama involved in its use.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    To the OP. I think Hillman's video would be ideal for you and your kids. It is casual, it is simple to implement, no need for special grounds or lots of equipment and most of all it is fun, for pup and people. But you should know, he does use an e collar at the appropriate time. You might think of it as "e collar lite". Somehow, I think the video will help you to appreciate the modern e collar and the lack of drama involved in its use.
    I will second that!
    Jon Couch
    Duck Creek Kennels
    Allegan, MI

http://duckcreekkennels.com

"It's very important to constantly analyze what you are doing and whether your dogs are being good or bad because of what you are doing or in spite of what you are doing." Mike Lardy

I just watched Jakie's Sound Beginnings and she does a nice job with many aspects of dealing with a retriever puppy (covers training tools, puppy drills, retrieving, intro to water, etc), but it is NOT a training program. Still worth a watch or two. I've been waiting to get my hands on Hillman's video as well as Evan Graham Smartworks. I joined bowwowflix so I could review the DVD to see what I like and fits me before running out and dropping the money on a copy. Hillman's DVD is all rented out if that tells you anything. I also have Mike Stewarts - The Wildrose way and it to is not very detailed as a program might be, but still has good info on drills and technique. I was mainly looking for something that keeps me from making mistakes at this young age prior to doing more formal training. I also got in contact with two local trainers and will be attending a session with each of them. Both offer training the trainer help and work as opposed to leaving the dog with them which would not happen in my house. Good luck!