The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Newcomer to retrievers looking for training opportunities near Spokane

Default Newcomer to retrievers looking for training opportunities near Spokane

Hey there people! So I just got lucky enough to purchase an AKC black lab pup with strong lineage. Some field champagne and MH titles and what not. Well I am a rookie trainer as this is my first AKC lab( I also have 2 year old lab mix that I trained to hunt pheasant) and he is 9 weeks old. I first and foremost want a good hunting pup for land and water, but I really want him to go after his hunt titles and/or try field trials. I don't want to take away from his hunting skills but I would love the challenge and competition of trials even though I am a novice. I guess I am looking for your thoughts and help weather this is a good idea or too much to ask out of a rookie owner and pup? Thanks for the read!

Champions not champagne! Lol

Check out Burlington Ranch in Chewelah, Wa.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

You are lucky in that you live in a hotbed of retriever training. An excellent combination of good grounds and dedicated trainers of all stripes from NAHRA hunt test folk to hard core field trialers, including one that won the National Amateur back in the nineties. PM me and I'll give you a couple people you can call in your area.,

John

Sent you a P.M.
    ~Willie Alderson

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi

Now that some of these nice retriever trainers have "shown you the love" for training opportunities (told you they would, eh?), you need to go to the thread Josie's started on "Retriever Puppy Training" and pick up a puppy book.

MG

Thanks for all the help Crackerd! I am currently reading Tom Dokken's book on Training Retrievers. It is a very easy read with lots of pictures to help give a guy an idea of the drill or lessons. My pup is 10 weeks today and man is he an athletic little rascal! Anyway he is right on track according to the book I am reading. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman509 View Post
    Thanks for all the help Crackerd! I am currently reading Tom Dokken's book on Training Retrievers. It is a very easy read with lots of pictures to help give a guy an idea of the drill or lessons. My pup is 10 weeks today and man is he an athletic little rascal! Anyway he is right on track according to the book I am reading. Thanks again!
    I also recommend Jackie Mertens "Sound Beginnings" DVD, it is excellent. For me it is more useful than the Hillman puppy video, especially at 1/4 the cost.

Pm me and I will give you a call,,,welcome to spokane!!

Spokane retriever club Tom Hartl Dan Coleman look them up