RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Rowdy (by Pirate) Disciplined Casting and Misc

8K views 48 replies 42 participants last post by  Laurie McCain 
#1 · (Edited)
Rowdy doing disciplined casting. Normally I would do more freebies in between but shortened up for the video. I thought he was going to switch on the right over but he didn't. Dang, tale of the tape, I wasn't paying enough attention to Rowdy's spine alignment. The looks to the left were the noise from a lawn maintenance crew. Can you believe cutting grass in Jan. The house is vacant and for sale so I guess they are concerned about curb appeal. I will probably do one more session of disciplined casting and move on to pattern blinds. Swimby will have to wait for warmer weather.

Some odds and ends of things I have been intending to do. Hay bale, duck call, goose call, decoys, shotgun, honor in hunting situation. I started honoring with Rowdy two sessions ago. But also wanted to do it in a hunting situation. Rowdy on the left and Shadow on the right.

See less See more
#40 · (Edited)
I would like to see a little more backbone alignment with Rowdy. You seem to allow him to line up to the right when he comes to heel. I can see his first few steps are aiming at the 2 o'clock direction. Sometimes it helps to have someone stand behind you to judge the lineup or step back to check, as its sometimes hard to tell while standing over the dog. That will have some bearing on the initial lines later on. Wagon wheels and push-pull drills really help in that area. It also gives you a leg tap tool to push and pull with to adjust alignment.

#41 ·
Thanks Duckq. I noticed that too when I watched the video.

#48 ·
It must be really an advantage to go back and see yourself in the video Wayne. You can see things and be able to correct next time out. Thanks again. Good thread.

#43 ·
Ok, I finished on the T today. Besides the obvious I focused on Breck's drop sequence and making sure Rowdy's spine was aligned properly. No video.

I started on pattern blinds. That went very well but I have to find a better field than where I was this morning.

#44 ·
Glad to see you back!... What is your land progession....Land T, then land T with disciplined casting, then patterns? I just did a session (#3) of a 2 legged pattern today. I taught them the fist 2 sessions by casting from remote sits and heel positions, then ran them cold today. He ran the lines very straight and did not flare at all. I want to add a 3rd leg but dont think I have the room on this particular field. Cant wait to see rowdy running patterns next!!!

#45 ·
Acemedic, Correct on my land sequence. Normally after T I would do swimby but will skip to pattern blinds until the weather/water warms up. But pretty soon I will start wagon wheel in parallel with blinds work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.