The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need your opinions on limping dog

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    You can't rule out every thing with x-rays. The likely problem Dr Ed mentioned involves partial or complete tears of ligaments and miniscus damage if present. Good ortho vet can detect tears by manual manipulation of the joint to detect abnormal drawer motion. If the surgeon has a good reputation you will have to trust their conclusion from these exams. You could confirm via mri but most people dont bother due to expense.
    Good luck
    This is what we went thru.
    The "drawer test" found patellar luxation.

Best wishes for you and your pup!
    Stan b & Elvis

You might also want to check for tick born disease. Lyme and anaplasmosis will cause lameness off and on in my experience.

thanks everyone, I am taking all your advice to the orthopedic surgeon. I will let you know what he finds and his recommendations. I am also going to ask for references if surgery is needed from others that have gone through this with there pets.
    "If we all did the things we are capable of doing we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A Edison

Dr. Ed,
    PM sent about this issue with Casey.
    Mark

Rebelstar's Two Toes Tappin' *** MH "Casey"
    Trumarc's Thrilla in Manilla "Laila"

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    we grow old because we stop playing.
    Never Be The First To Get Old!!!!!

bump for update!
    "If we all did the things we are capable of doing we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A Edison

Quote Originally Posted by goldens View Post
    You might also want to check for tick born disease. Lyme and anaplasmosis will cause lameness off and on in my experience.
    Absolutely, not sure what Ticks commonly carry in OK but here in the northeast checking for tick borne disease would be step no. 1. My dog had this exact issue when he was 1.5, thought the limping was just an injury he suffered a training, but just to cover all the bases I had my Vet test for Lyme and it was positive. Put him on doxycycline and he was fine.
    Last edited by Meleagris1; 02-05-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks, i forgot to mention this. I will set up an appt with my vet to see about getting this test done.

Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    Absolutely, not sure what Ticks commonly carry in OK but here in the northeast checking for tick borne disease would be step no. 1. My dog had this exact issue when he was 1.5, thought the limping was just an injury he suffered a training, but just to cover all the bases I had my Vet test for Lyme and it was positive. Put him on doxycycline and he was fine.

I would advise you to start your dog on joint supplements. Although this issue is probably not hip related, the possibility of arthritic changes with a less than stellar hip socket is real. Hope this issue is behind you
    Mark Land