The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why don't people listen?????

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stoune View Post
    The only thing worse is when someone asks your opinion, then wants to argue with you and tell you you're wrong.
    Conversely, people often appear to earnestly seek advice, when all they're really looking for is someone to reaffirm what they have already decided to do.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    conversely, people often appear to earnestly seek advice, when all they're really looking for is someone to reaffirm what they have already decided to do.

Evan

amen!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stoune View Post
    The only thing worse is when someone asks your opinion, then wants to argue with you and tell you you're wrong.
    True!!
    Funny how they don't do that 'Face to Face'?
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Evan Nailed it I think. And you may take this to all walks of life(work, romance, financial, etc...). As a consultant, this is an every day occurance. You learn to let it roll off your back. It is even fun to grin when they come back with a tail of woe. I don't bother with "I told you so's".
    The difference is, with your examples, the life (or quality of life) of an animal and/or it's loving family is at stake.

Everyone is a dog trainer and even some hang out their pro shingles with minimal experience. I have the same thing even with family members, ask questions, then do whatever they want to do. An old saying, you are a moron in your own town and 20 minutes away you are a expert. Human nature I guess.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I thought you were talking about people on the RTF not listening to advice
    Hahaha I was thinking the same thing!!!!
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

The ones that annoy me the most are the ones who ask a question, you take the time to then them and answer and the next thing you know they are asking another person the exact same thing. I have no patience with them and the next time they ask my reply is I don't know ask so and so.

I think that that many do not think that they need to be so particular BECAUSE they only want a PET. After all you and people like you need something different than just the pet.

Too bad they don't understand that our "performance" dogs are also pets. Too bad they don't understand that encouraging poor breeding practices, often times produces animals who suffer from poor structure, are miserable with allergies, and other problems.
    When it quits being fun...we retire!

Nancy Neipert with
    Skeeter, my avatar (Deepwoods Off and Fly'n High, MH, MNH, MN09,10, 11.
    Gypsy (Windigo Deja Voodoo Gypsy Pearl, D List, QAA, MH) MN10 & to MD11
    Mary (Stellars Proud Mary) first Lean Mac dog
    Ted (Deepwoods Spirit of the Wild), now the baby & Suzie's grandson...
    Suzie (Watermarks Slough Foot Sue, MH, 2000-2011 - Farewell dear companion)

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Conversely, people often appear to earnestly seek advice, when all they're really looking for is someone to reaffirm what they have already decided to do.

Evan
    AS a slight twist, I've found that many times folks want to ask about something, and then proceed to explain why it won't work for THEIR dog.

I can think of a couple folks who generalize about their whole pack of dogs. (My dogs won't pick up ABTs/Dokkens. My dogs don't like to (XYZ)"

This happens in so many aspects of life, and it seems to be highly correlated with how much something costs, or how hard you have to work to attain it. There is nothing cheap or easy about quality. That's why it's so valuable.