The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Floors

Bamboo if you want natural or Brazillian Cherry in an engineered floor. Stranded bamboo is a beautiful product and will hold up pretty well. Some surface scratching but too hard to gouge. Tile is OK, but really hard on your back in a working area like a kitchen. Ironwood in an engineered floor is also a beautiful wood and hard. The advantage of the engineered flooring is the aluminum oxide coating on the factory finish. You will never get as good a final product on a sand and finish job, but the engineered flooring can be recoated at least once if need be. Also way more stable.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Get a sample of the wood flooring you'd like to use, preferably prefinished. Push your thumbnail into the sample. That's what the dogs will do, especially if they "turn" to go into or out of the room. They're not as bad on the straightaways.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Tile is great

We just built a new room, 12' X 21', for the family (me, Lois, and the dogs). We put down tile. We have hardwood floors in the rest of the house and the tile is MUCH nicer. They even make tile now that looks just like wood if you like the wood look. Our tiles are 20 X 20 inch squares and more dog resistant than any material I can think of..
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)

Thanks for the info Jake. It will be some time before that project gets to the top of the list. Roof and furnace are going to be first. I might do a test run in my utility room since the hot water heater is trying to go through the floor. It also gets the most traffic. We have a temporary fix in place there. I feel poor just thinking about it!
    Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
    www.northmountainretrievers.com

Thanks for everyone's help, now it's time to choose...lol
    "First thing is you have to be smarter then what your working with"