The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I know what training system is best for me

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    a great question!
    the old saying is, and I stand by it. Is read everything you can get your hands on and take everything with a grain of salt.
    So how to pick? At a test, trial or fun event watch the dogs and the people and see who you like the work of. Go talk to those people and ask what/ how/ who they use or follow. Then read / view that program. If you can not wrap your mind round it move on to another. The program you use you need to feel comfie in.
    So how did I choose? When I was visiting my breeder twice a week day training and tossing birds in '98-'99 they were using the brand new VHS tapes of the First Lardy Program (banner on top of this page) and had all the old stand by books of the time. The flow chart they had from gun dog training since the '80's was very very close to this brand new total retriever program. It was very easy for me to morf right into it.
    Good to view all that is available. When you find one you like from all your lurking latch onto it but never stop reading or viewing articles or listening to others but you do have to sift through to see what is reliable. IMHO Good luck!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    Pink Lady

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia

I agree with Evan, one method is all you need. Get yourself a copy of Wolters Water Dog and you will be in the colors every time.
    it is a revolutionary rapid training method.
    Last edited by badbullgator; 02-02-2013 at 07:19 AM.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Last edited by road kill; 02-02-2013 at 06:58 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

The the janitor had $1.00 for every indirect commercial, Wait, forget him! If I had a $1.00 for every indirect commercial.... I could retire!
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I say, look at the responses here, see who out of the Lardy's, Dobbs, Dokken's , Smartwork etc are here giving you free advice and will be available with only a phone call if you purchase their system?? There is only one I know of that will drop what he is doing, answer you call or PM , and try to talk you through it because you bought his system....Evan!! The rest ,I will almost guarantee , will blow you off and never return your call!!
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Hey , I learned the use of the Dobbs place boards system in one winter afternoon in a garage in Boise....his original Tri Tronics book with Ms Woodyard is still a very good training manual

most people dont realize that Jim Dobbs was a Rex Carr assistant before they parted ways..

Mr Dobbs know his stuff when it comes to dog training
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

[QUOTE=Evan;1062994]There are similar philosophies within the better programs. But there are substantive differences also. To pick one for yourself why not visit the sites for each, check out the information given. See how they're presented, and decide which appeals to you best...which one you can relate to most readily. How much of a look are you getting into the program, and do you think, based on that, you can follow it? Will you be able to get support or feedback when you need it?

Good luck!

Evan

BAYDOG

Join Date May 2009 Location Phelps,NY Posts 8

I say, look at the responses here, see who out of the Lardy's, Dobbs, Dokken's , Smartwork etc are here giving you free advice and will be available with only a phone call if you purchase their system?? There is only one I know of that will drop what he is doing, answer you call or PM , and try to talk you through it because you bought his system....Evan!! The rest ,I will almost guarantee , will blow you off and never return your call!!

Ya thats the part I noticed too.
    Last edited by Steve Shaver; 02-02-2013 at 10:02 AM.

E-collar basics with FF the foundation are for the most part about the same, if contemporary. The next levels get a little dicy depending on your venue. The transition level as Lardy coined it is about all some of the venues need. The advanced levels can get quite interesting unless you have major field trial stake aspirations. Maybe some of the AKC master level and perhaps the HRC Grand might lend itself to some of the lower level advanced training. From my experience training with many levels and venues over the years more dogs are ruined trying to do advanced work in the field,water/land then any level other level except maybe FF ,collar conditioning. I have judged some owner handler qualifying , attached to the AKC hunt tests, and the water blinds are perhaps the least understood , training level , plus handler level, then any of the other trained responses. Again we are talking field trials just associated with the hunt tests, not part of the master stakes. A field trial is a field trial. Having said all of the above before any undertaking of what program to use, one should first attend a HRC finished test a AKC master hunt test and a AKC field trial qualifying stake and both or one amateur all age stake or open all age stake, ask many questions, be realistic on what you can do with time, money and expertise at your disposal. There is a major, major, difference on the journey from a good hunting dog to a field trial champion in the retriever games. It is a wonderful journey and I have traveled them all and is all rewarding no matter what level. Just one man's opinion.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post

Mr. Graham Sir,
    I am shocked you would type such. As an author of a training program, how? How I say (my Foghorn Leghorn Voice) can you say such a thing? Not a rhetorical question. If a person does not read everything available how can they see what programs and right for them and what are not? Now I did not say hop scotch or as that ever so Great line from RTF member Bon so aptly stated "You Cannot Build A Retriever la carte"!!!
    But gosh man how phase II do you want these kids to be? I am trying very very very very hard to be peanut ish but this goofy little typed text of yours on a goofy little retriever message board actually makes me very very angry.
    So Tell me Mr. Dog training program promoter Sir. The next time some kid pipes up and says " I am using water dog and I was wondering blah blah blah" Are you going to type back "You should stick with Water Dig and read nothing else at all because any other knowledge will confuse you and I am sure you will be unable to process it"
    OR
    Will you link him off to Smart Works Volume 1 - 666????????????
    Dude?. . . just... dude????
    What he meant was don't read all of them, just mine....

Fact is you can read all the books, watch all the videos, get help from internet trainers all you want. Until you get with someone who can help you apply all the profound knowledge you now have you won't get far.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Hey , I learned the use of the Dobbs place boards system in one winter afternoon in a garage in Boise....his original Tri Tronics book with Ms Woodyard is still a very good training manual

most people dont realize that Jim Dobbs was a Rex Carr assistant before they parted ways..

Mr Dobbs know his stuff when it comes to dog training
    He doesn't train with direct pressure like written the book anymore.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"