The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Throwing Up

Default Dog Throwing Up

I'm trying to narrow down a reason why my 8.5 m/o lab is randomly throwing up. When he does throw up, it's always between 5 and 6 am. His food is always digested by that time (we feed at 6:30 am and 6:30 pm). Sometimes we'll find something in it, like a long piece of grass, a string, or something like that, which makes sense then why he may have thrown up. But this morning, it looked like it was just liquid.

He eats Fromm's large breed puppy. He isn't throwing up everyday. It's just hit or miss. Sometimes it's once a week, sometimes three, sometimes never.

Yesterday he was in his kennel for a large portion of the day. He is kind of spoiled because my wife has a home office, so most of the time he is her "office dog" during the day. Yesterday, though, she was out on business, hence the reason he was in his kennel. Could it be that he has anxiety and then gets an upset stomach?

Even after throwing up, he acts fine, eats fine, plays fine. Just getting sick of hearing "the noise" at 5 am.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Thanks,

Erik
    --
    Old Oak's Irish Poet ~ "Teegan"

Sire: Irish FTCH Rockenhart Voyager
    Dam: Old Oak's Ipswich Addie JH

Mine did the same thing after I switched him from PPP to Exclusive. When a trip to the vet for an exam and a shot of something (I don't remember what) didn't work I took it upon myself to switch him back to PPP and the problem was gone.

Try changing his food and see if that works.
    HR Cut to the Chase UD

“Undoubtedly there will be moments of disappointment as you venture through the landmines of injuries, failures, and other setbacks. Remember that the joy of the journey is worth the difficulties along the way. Don’t let anyone steal that joy. Guard it well, and at the end of the road you can own it and revel in it, with all the other memories of the trip.” Connie Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vigeland View Post
    I'm trying to narrow down a reason why my 8.5 m/o lab is randomly throwing up. When he does throw up, it's always between 5 and 6 am. His food is always digested by that time (we feed at 6:30 am and 6:30 pm). Sometimes we'll find something in it, like a long piece of grass, a string, or something like that, which makes sense then why he may have thrown up. But this morning, it looked like it was just liquid.

He eats Fromm's large breed puppy. He isn't throwing up everyday. It's just hit or miss. Sometimes it's once a week, sometimes three, sometimes never.

Yesterday he was in his kennel for a large portion of the day. He is kind of spoiled because my wife has a home office, so most of the time he is her "office dog" during the day. Yesterday, though, she was out on business, hence the reason he was in his kennel. Could it be that he has anxiety and then gets an upset stomach?

Even after throwing up, he acts fine, eats fine, plays fine. Just getting sick of hearing "the noise" at 5 am.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    As you can see from the link below, there are many reasons for vomiting in dogs.. If he was mine, I would take him for the vet for exam.
    http://www.peteducation.com/article....+2090&aid=3574
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

I had one that would do that, it lessened as the dog matured. My theory, empty stomach get a little over acid waiting for breakfast. Don't know why they would produce less acid in the daytime though. You might try giving him a late night dog biscuit right before you go to bed.

7.5 month old does the same thing, same time of day too. Did it yesterday actually. One time he did actually puke up one of the kid's socks. He is a serious sock thieving bandito. It's a constant battle with my 3 year old and 6 year old to put their dirty socks up. I bet I've got a dozen scattered around the yard that he's passed. Scares me he's going to get an obstruction.

My 8 year old was a panty thief. Threw up 4 pair in one night. I learned two things.... (1) I'm glad I married a small woman, and (2) I'm glad she recognized all the panties!!
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

See the vet but any time my dogs throwup its usually the food...something in it just doesn't agree...i also had a Dalmatian that just threw up a lot. Is your dogs projectile vomiting or pumping his stomachs out? If it's the latter then he's eating something he doesn't like.

I think I might just add a little rice to his food tonight...and/or give him just a little bit of rice before bed. Maybe that will soak up some of the acid, if that indeed is what is causing it.
    Thanks,

Erik
    --

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerdutch View Post
    See the vet but any time my dogs throwup its usually the food...something in it just doesn't agree...i also had a Dalmatian that just threw up a lot. Is your dogs projectile vomiting or pumping his stomachs out? If it's the latter then he's eating something he doesn't like.
    It's more of the pumping puke...definitely not projectile.
    Thanks,

Erik
    --

Both my older dog and younger dog, who are very hyper and on PPP throw up occasionally. It looks like white stuff digested and phlegm. Have had them checked. Spoke with my vet and he said they are prolly thinking breakfast coming soon. I have found if I feed them both a handful before I go to bed it does not happen.
    Check with your vet first to rule out something serious. Good luck.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Good one Mountain Duck!!!