The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog Throwing Up

I have almost 10 year old now who used to do the very early morning barf thing when he was a youngster.
    Never anything but some foamy bile. Solved the problem by giving him a large milkbone at bedtime. If we forgot to give it to him sure enough he would barf. He eventually outgrew it but still insists on a cookie before bed but now just gets a little one.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Well, I think the verdict is in, we will try a little bedtime snack for the next couple weeks or so and see what happens. We have talked to the vet when he was much younger and this was happening. They did some tests, but everything came back negative, which is good, but makes it harder to figure out why.

Thanks everybody. Best darn retriever site on the Internet!!!
    Thanks,

Erik
    --
    Old Oak's Irish Poet ~ "Teegan"

Sire: Irish FTCH Rockenhart Voyager
    Dam: Old Oak's Ipswich Addie JH

Ask your Vet about ProPectalin. Safe product that WORKS!

What about access to water? Does he have free access to water for a couple hours before bed or, is he pretty much kenneled in the house during that time?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    What about access to water? Does he have free access to water for a couple hours before bed or, is he pretty much kenneled in the house during that time?
    He does have access to water, but we try to limit his water intake after 8:00 so that he doesn't have to get up in the middle of the night.
    Thanks,

Erik
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vigeland View Post
    He does have access to water, but we try to limit his water intake after 8:00 so that he doesn't have to get up in the middle of the night.
    I'd say limiting water might be part of the problem. You feed pretty late. Have you ever seen how much water dog food absorbs? I knew it absorbed a lot but, it wasn't until I started hydrating puppy food that I realized I could grind up the food in the blender, add water, sit for hours, be like oatmeal, add more water, sit a few more hours, add more water....stuff is like a really amazing sponge.

I'd let him drink away. Better to get up at 4:30am to let him out for a pee than be cleaning up puke.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    I'd say limiting water might be part of the problem. You feed pretty late. Have you ever seen how much water dog food absorbs? I knew it absorbed a lot but, it wasn't until I started hydrating puppy food that I realized I could grind up the food in the blender, add water, sit for hours, be like oatmeal, add more water, sit a few more hours, add more water....stuff is like a really amazing sponge.

I'd let him drink away. Better to get up at 4:30am to let him out for a pee than be cleaning up puke.
    I agree. We don't take water away...it's always there. If he's really that thirsty, he can go ahead and drink. We just don't let him go overboard.
    Thanks,

Erik
    --

For what its worth, IMHO They eat /taste EVerything besides what is in the bowl at his age. That said if he swallows something that will not pass, his body will try the vomit route to expell it. But it sounds like you've ruled out that as a cause. Do know Green yellow liquid = stomach bile indicating irritation.

Sounds like he may be hungry anxiety to eat gets his juices flowing, cause 6:30 doesn't come fast enough for him, so he gags up that bile pile. May need to give him more opportunities to eat. He is only 8 mos old and 12hours between feedings is long when you growing and hungry.
    Always determine that he is making a normal stool through his day if he is not get to your Dog Doc asap. Blockage is life threatening. And it is norovirus season nation wide.

Seeing or just even calling your vet on the phone is never bad advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Purpledawg View Post
    For what its worth, IMHO They eat /taste EVerything besides what is in the bowl at his age. That said if he swallows something that will not pass, his body will try the vomit route to expell it. But it sounds like you've ruled out that as a cause. Do know Green yellow liquid = stomach bile indicating irritation.

Sounds like he may be hungry anxiety to eat gets his juices flowing, cause 6:30 doesn't come fast enough for him, so he gags up that bile pile. May need to give him more opportunities to eat. He is only 8 mos old and 12hours between feedings is long when you growing and hungry.
    Always determine that he is making a normal stool through his day if he is not get to your Dog Doc asap. Blockage is life threatening. And it is norovirus season nation wide.

Dogs get norovirus?
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com