The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: The cat thread GDG

Default The cat thread GDG

The cat thread got me to thinking about how many birds a cat running loose can kill and I found this on another site.
    http://www.abcbirds.org/newsandrepor...es/130129.html

Last night NBC nightly news reported 3.7 million birds are killed by cats per year.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

BCR's Born to Boogie "Boogie" (FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus" X HR Big Creek Retrivers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy")

Not to start anything but,, It's called the food chain..

How many birds were killed by other birds??? hawks ,Falcons, Eagles, etc. etc.

How many bunnies, squirrels, and chipmunks, killed by Weasels, minks, foxes,and coyotes ???

Just sayin.........
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Hmm, so we have no idea how many illegals live in the US but we know how many feral cats there are and how many things they kill to eat? I wonder how many rats and mice they kill?

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Hmm, so we have no idea how many illegals live in the US but we know how many feral cats there are and how many things they kill to eat? I wonder how many rats and mice they kill?

Thank you ..Dr. Ed.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I completely agree...I had read Ken's cat pole and then set down for supper and Brian Willaims told me about it. As a non-cat liker ,it caught my ear.

Spay or neuter your illegals.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

BCR's Born to Boogie "Boogie" (FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus" X HR Big Creek Retrivers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy")

If you were raised on a turkey farm which didn't keep the animals in modern style cages you'd have a completely different understanding of the financial damage just a couple cats can do in a single night.

I typed out a longer reply but, erased it because I know it would be pointless to state the damage they did in a factual manner. Grandpa had over 40,000 turkeys on his farm in the years leading up to his retirement. He grew his feed and all the full feathered birds were free ranged on the corn fields. The young birds were rotated through 5 barns depending upon their size.

Folks dumped cats regularly around the area and unfortunately for the cats, they were very unwelcomed visitors/inhabitants of our farm. I witnessed 50 young birds killed one weekend. Multiply that by an average market weight of 20lbs. Those are painful hits in the pocketbook of a poor dirt and bird farmer.

If you have pets, regardless of what they are you need to be a responsible owner or the pet suffers. It is the fault of the owner not the cat or dog which was dispatched.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    Spay or neuter your illegals.
    +1 I couldnt agree with you more.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

To All,

I feel like a mosquito in a nudist colony! So few posts on this thread, but each worthy of a reply!!!

Firstly, DITTOS to grnhd and Shawn White. Cats are first and foremost efficient predators.

Secondly, to Rnd, the problem with your "food chain" comment is that humans are subsidizing the vicious little feline predators! Frankly, the best thing coyotes do are to help thin out the damn cats! (Don't freak out, it's the food chain!)

Dr. Ed, We know how many illegals there are (give or take a million), but it doesn't fit the liberal media's template to advertise the problem. Those are potential democrat voters! Frankly, the "All Creatures Bright and Beautiful" thing may sell books, but it doesn't work in the real world. In my mind, a cat more than 50 yards from an inhabited structure is a non-native species that doesn't belong in the natural landscape. As such it is vermin and expendable.

Paul (Happy) Gilmore, I work for farmers as a forester and I can relate to your tale. A person has the right to control predation to his stock in order to protect his livelyhood.

Domestic cats are not welcome in the wild. I'm sorry if some of you folks don't like my attitude. The solution is to get cat owners to confine their pets to their homes. All others are unwelcome and expendable.

Sorry, no Political Correctness from me. Modern Americans aren't used to hearing the blunt truth, but it's about time they did. They need to hear it before the truth is banned!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Nice post Swack.
    My biggest problem with cats is the owners,or lack of. I use to trap fur,and would catch cats miles from any house. People just let their cats run wild. I also would predator call,you'd be amazed at how many cats come to a dying rabbit call. They know what that sound is!
    I wan't trying to stir up any crap or make any body mad with this thread,just thought some would find it interesting since there was a cat thread going. I just hoped that some of the cat lovers here would see what a cat left to its own does.