RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Question for those who have straws from stud dogs

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Beverly Burns 
#1 ·
I know I am setting myself up for the junior high responses, so please post if you can honestly help with an answer. We have a very good repro vet in VT, but I would like thoughts from some on RTF too. For those of you who have done a motility and count on your dog and had him collected-did you use a teaser bitch? Do you think using one has any influence on the outcome of the count and motility? Any info appreciated!

Thanks in advance-

M

#2 ·
I think that it does make a difference. Especially in ease of collection. I've had them collected with and sans in heat female, and the libido is much higher with a female there. Unless you have a very amorous male, (i have one of those and one who is normal), I would reccomend the teaser. Hopefully you get more responses from folks who have done the collection with and without and can offer knowledge to the quality of the collection at hand. (I HAD to throw that in for our friends in the Pacific NW !!!!!! )

#3 ·
I know I am setting myself up for the junior high responses, so please post if you can honestly help with an answer. We have a very good repro vet in VT, but I would like thoughts from some on RTF too. For those of you who have done a motility and count on your dog and had him collected-did you use a teaser bitch? Do you think using one has any influence on the outcome of the count and motility? Any info appreciated!

Thanks in advance-

M
I think the count can be greater with the use of a teaser, depending on the male. If I am going to pay to freeze, I want the teaser present to give me the greatest number of breeding doses I can get. I think age of the dog is important. I start collecting very young to give me the best collection/thaw, etc. You can always throw it out if the dog doesn't make something of himself. You can't turn them into a young stud dog again.

I don't think motility is affected by this at all.

I just collected FC Ruckus again, and the repro vet said "His sperm moves as fast as he does." :D

#16 ·
Well, hopefully the ship hasn't already sailed. The dog in question is 7 years old. If the semen analysis (thanks Hotel4dogs!) shows that this isn't even a viable option than c'est la vie. I'm only doing this for me, so it has nothing to do with expectations of outside breedings.

Again-thanks to everyone!!! :)

M

#4 ·
Hi Miriam,

I pretty sure that I used the Vet that you are referring to on a several occasions and we had a favorable experience each time, Blue particularly ;-). Our experience was that the sperm count and motility didn't seem to be affected by the lack of a teaser bitch but the amount of ejaculate was. Good luck!

Thanks in advance-

M

#5 · (Edited)
My boy has been collected with and without a teaser. We always collect with a teaser for freezing. His *normals* without the teaser are enough for about 3-4 breeding units, with the teaser, enough for 8. The repro vet has told me it's typical to get at least twice the count when a teaser is present. Since the cost to collect is the same either way, I won't do it without a teaser.
A lot of repro vets will put you on a list and contact you when they have a teaser that you can use, whether it's one of their own dogs, or another client's dog.
You probably already know this, but just in case....I'd strongly suggest doing a semen analysis at least a month before you plan to collect. If there is a minor infection, micoplasma (sp?) etc., you can clear it up before the actual collection.
Hope that helps.

#12 ·
A lot of repro vets will put you on a list and contact you when they have a teaser that you can use, whether it's one of their own dogs, or another client's dog.
I know Patti does this, but the other 2 repro vets I use always have a supply of teasers. One has a relationship with some gun dog trainers - they just drop one off that is in season. they get the fee for the teaser. The other does a ton of reproduction work, so they use whatever female is in for breeding. Something to check out and consider when making appointments.

#6 ·
I'm sorry Miriam I have to.

Larry likes to see movies. Magazines just don't do it for him.

#11 ·
I just had to know.....
"...All the dogs portraying Lassie have been male. A female collie was hired to play the lead in Lassie Come Home, but when an opportunity came to film "Lassie" negotiating some rapids, the female reportedly would have nothing to do with the rushing water. Rudd Weatherwax's collie "Pal" was substituted, and not only stole the stunt but won the role. Weatherwax continued to use male collies in the role for a good reason: both sexes shed in the summer (when most movies and television shows traditionally film most of their episodes), but since the male has a thicker coat, he wouldn't look so scrawny during filming. Also, fans tend to think of Lassie as a "big heroic dog." Female collies are usually 10-15 pounds lighter than their male counterparts, therefore a male dog playing Lassie would look more impressive. Female collies were not ignored because they are any less intelligent; in fact, some of Lassie's stunt doubles have been females...."
(http://www.lassieweb.org/lassfact.htm)

#13 · (Edited)
I do find that it improves on semen quality (mostly in sheer quantity of sperm-rich fraction/fraction 2) if you have a teaser bitch around. I like to at least have a rag or swab or something else around that smells like a bitch in season as it too seems to help with excitement and collection. Having said that, my dog just sired a new litter of 9 this week and has 4 more on the way all with fresh extended chilled semen shipments and I don't even own a bitch personally so there was no teaser involved with collection/shipment. When he was collected and frozen, there was no teaser bitch either and he ended up with more than 6 breeding units (he was frozen into pellets rather than straws).

#15 ·
According to a person I know with the most experience in canine reproduction, "studies have been done on this topic and shows that there is always a better collection in terms of both spermatozoa count AND quality when a teaser bitch is used." As a result, when we have done AI's we always ask that the collection be done using a teaser bitch. As with most things, your results may be different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.