The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you breed yellow to chocolate?

I'm not a expert in breeding. We spoke to a breeder about this topic and she said that she had seen dogs out of yellow to chocolate or chocolate to yellow breedings. She said the pigmentation the eyes didnt look right. The reason we asked was to see if we could breed our chocolate male to our yellow female. We won't be doing that breeding.

No way. I'd be hard pressed to breed a yellow to another yellow. Much easier to find a black dog that is factored.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    No way. I'd be hard pressed to breed a yellow to another yellow. Much easier to find a black dog that is factored.
    Why would you hesitate to breed yellow to yellow?

It's so hard to find a yellow stud that gives you everything you need for a bitch. It's much easier finding a factored wannabe yellow that fits the needs of a breeding.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLover45 View Post
    I'm not a expert in breeding. We spoke to a breeder about this topic and she said that she had seen dogs out of yellow to chocolate or chocolate to yellow breedings. She said the pigmentation the eyes didnt look right. The reason we asked was to see if we could breed our chocolate male to our yellow female. We won't be doing that breeding.
    The pigmentation isn't right if you don't know the coat color genetics.

There is an EASY fix. Go to this site: http://www.vetdnacenter.com/search-b...t.php?breed=79

You are looking for B Locus, the chocolate locus. If neither have the B locus,

The WORST thing that could happen is both are Yellow carrying Chocolate and you'd have a potential for 25% of the litter with no black pigment.

Call for a test kit and find out. If you have good pedigrees behind both, there is no reason not to do the breeding unless producing genetic diseases or no black pigment in yellows is an issue.

This really should be a non-issue any more. These tests DO actually give us more options. Don't reduce the gene pool by limiting your choices.

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

If I thought the resulting offspring would be strong and healthy pups, with the hunting / retrieving characteristics I was looking for, yes. Colour wouldn't (and hasn't) figured in the calculation; once colour starts to be the major factor I don't think we are breeding for the right reasons.

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Blimp View Post
    If I thought the resulting offspring would be strong and healthy pups, with the hunting / retrieving characteristics I was looking for, yes. Colour wouldn't (and hasn't) figured in the calculation; once colour starts to be the major factor I don't think we are breeding for the right reasons.

Eug
    Amen to this. I wouldn't hesitate to breed a choc to yellow if it's going to improve upon the weaknesses of my bitch, without taking away from other areas.
    It's ridiculous to get hung up over color when we now have reliable tests to determine in advance and even so, the eebb (choc wanna be) isn't associated w/ any health issues.

I once breed a chocolate female and yellow male together...wont do that again,all 5 pups where this grossly color almost like they where black or something.The worst part of it was that the one pup I stayed in contact with turned out to be a great hunting dog and family dog ....I'll never ,ever do that again. Good Black hunting dogs are the worst kind.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Glad to see opinions are changing. As long as it is a good combination of the other traits the dogs' possess. The chocolate nosed yellows are not shown to have any more health issues than the black nosed yellows; and they usually sell quickly to companion/pet homes.

what is a dudley?