The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 wk pup retieving ATB's or Duck bumpers?

Default 14 wk pup retieving ATB's or Duck bumpers?

Hi,

I have a 14 week old chocolate lab and she has been doing well retreiving the canvas bumpers so I bought were a teal ATB/Duck bumper with a hanging head and throw cord with knob. It seems like she doesn't want to pick it up by the body but she will want to chew on the throw cord knob. Her mouth is big enough to fit the body as I can sort of force hold with her for a few seconds but we haven't started that training yet.

Is this something I should be concerned with or just she's too young and continue training with the canvas baby bumper.

Thanks ahead,
    Mark

All puppy bumpers should be without throw cords. Until they learn HOW to pick up what they are retrieving through FF.

It's one of those things that if they are picking it up correctly, good. If they refuse to pick it up by anything but the rope, remove the rope. In the case of ABT you might just have to put it away for now.

It's nothing to be discouraged about but don't let pup form a habit of it.

For now let the pup be a pup. Proper holding will be addressed during your conditioned retrieve. Expose the pup to different items to play with but don't worry to much on how they are handled. Good Luck

A pick of my pup with a Remington Winged Canvas bumper;

I like Orange Throw Ropes b/c the dogs don't go right for them being as it's a little harder to see.

I have never understood the real purpose/reason behind the rubber ducks, never saw a winged bumper before. They don't look like a duck, smell like a duck or feel like a duck. Why use those instead of plain dummies if birds are not available? Not dissing them, but really not sure I get the point. Is it just because the pups like them?
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    I have never understood the real purpose/reason behind the rubber ducks, never saw a winged bumper before. They don't look like a duck, smell like a duck or feel like a duck. Why use those instead of plain dummies if birds are not available? Not dissing them, but really not sure I get the point. Is it just because the pups like them?
    The alternating Black & White wings create a strobe effect when thrown hopefully drawing pups attention at least that my understanding of the wings.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    The alternating Black & White wings create a strobe effect when thrown hopefully drawing pups attention at least that my understanding of the wings.
    That and they do smell like a duck with Scent Oil

My Dog loves Bumpers, goes crazy for ATB's and goes banana's on Real Birds.

As a pup though this winged dummy always got him fired up to retrieve.

My 16 week 21.4 lb Lab Female saw a Dove Dolken for the first time this weekend and she didn't have an issue. Until yesterday she only picked up cloth bumpers. But Penny went crazy over this rubber bird. I've never had one before, I may have to get some. Where do I get this Remington birds?
    Patti

HRCH UH Benton's Magnum Opus MH WC - Magnum (500 points) September 11, 1994 - May 9, 2007
    HRCH UH Fowl Play's Dust Devil - Dusty (500 points) February 5, 1998 - November 15, 2006
    HRCH UH Benton's Ria of Opus CGC - Ria (1520 points) March 2, 2002 - August 6, 2012 we miss you baby girl
    HRCH CH Go West Mamma's Last Nerve CGC - Emma (450 points and counting)
    HR GRCH Benton's Opus Pocket Change CGC- Penny (40 points - just getting started)

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    Must be heck to store. I know they won't fit in my bumper drawer. what happened to "hey hey"...?
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    Must be heck to store. I know they won't fit in my bumper drawer. what happened to "hey hey"...?
    Wings and such are in my opinion a waste of time and money if you need the strobe effect buy white and black bumpers, have even heard of people hitting their white bumpers with a touch of black krylon. Having someone throw bumpers and yelling hey hey or having them practice blowing their duck call (And they usually need the practice.....LOL) is still my preferred method.

As I do use a lot of Dokken Deadfowl Trainers mostly mallards in my case, the pintail version is white and black and has a bit of a strobe effect if someone wanted to go that route.
    Last edited by thelast2; 02-03-2013 at 11:05 PM.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE