RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

14 wk pup retieving ATB's or Duck bumpers?

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  KwickLabs 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a 14 week old chocolate lab and she has been doing well retreiving the canvas bumpers so I bought were a teal ATB/Duck bumper with a hanging head and throw cord with knob. It seems like she doesn't want to pick it up by the body but she will want to chew on the throw cord knob. Her mouth is big enough to fit the body as I can sort of force hold with her for a few seconds but we haven't started that training yet.

Is this something I should be concerned with or just she's too young and continue training with the canvas baby bumper.

Thanks ahead,
Mark

#2 ·
All puppy bumpers should be without throw cords. Until they learn HOW to pick up what they are retrieving through FF.

It's one of those things that if they are picking it up correctly, good. If they refuse to pick it up by anything but the rope, remove the rope. In the case of ABT you might just have to put it away for now.

It's nothing to be discouraged about but don't let pup form a habit of it.

#5 ·
I have never understood the real purpose/reason behind the rubber ducks, never saw a winged bumper before. They don't look like a duck, smell like a duck or feel like a duck. Why use those instead of plain dummies if birds are not available? Not dissing them, but really not sure I get the point. Is it just because the pups like them?

#8 ·
My 16 week 21.4 lb Lab Female saw a Dove Dolken for the first time this weekend and she didn't have an issue. Until yesterday she only picked up cloth bumpers. But Penny went crazy over this rubber bird. I've never had one before, I may have to get some. Where do I get this Remington birds?

#14 ·
All of my dogs love the Dokken bird bumpers. They will pick those first over any bumper I use. Start with a teal and then the mallard. And they will out last the Avery true bird. As long as you keep them as a training tool and not a play toy for your pup. I have had some of my Dokken bird bumpers for 10 or more years.

#15 ·
My pups are about the same age and went through a similar expeince......they were losing puppy teeth and had sore gums.

Wally

#16 ·
All of my dogs love the Dokken bird bumpers. They will pick those first over any bumper I use.
I agree! I've had four Dokkens that have been used regularly for several years. Put one in each pile of bumpers set out for cold blinds and the first dog back is always carrying the Dokken. I like to use them in a dog's first water poison bird blind presentation because they float so high in the water.....excellent suction. When throwing marks and looking for greater visibility of the AOF, they bounce really high and usually more than once giving a young dog a "better look". In cover, they have a very distinct and often nasty smell (at least mine do) which aids a dog's nose to kick in at the end of a mark.

Never leave them in your van/truck on a hot summer day after water work. ;)

As for very young pups. They might surprise you if exposed (or not). When Daisy was ten weeks old, I was doing walking singles with my older dogs. I brought her out afterwards for a fun romp in the grass. Just for the fun of it, I whipped a full sized Dokken out to see what she would do. I was very pleasantly surprised. To see if it was a fluke (or not), I tossed it twice.

The point of this post is......it depends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.