The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GDG! to Malinois owners or afficiandos

Default GDG! to Malinois owners or afficiandos

We have a new pup in the neighborhood! Our next door neighbors adopted a pup off the reservation near by. The then 12 week old yellow pup was half starved and left tied to a post in the cold and sun without water. The owner was delighted to take $5 and hand over the rope to my neighbor. At first he looked like all the other scruffy yella dogs that have inbred for so long in the area. But as he was fed and cared for he has been the original ugly duck turned into a swan. This morning when I walked by his yard and he came out to say hello, (from a distance, he is still a little intimidated by my 3 older dogs), I saw that his floppy ears are now completely erect. He is a rich fawn colored dog with an impressive black mask. His eyes are large and he has a friendly intelligent air about him. I guess he is about 5 months old now and around 40 - 45 #'s. He may be one of the prettiest dogs I've ever seen. My best guess is that he is a Belgian Malinois or at least very close. My neighbors are nice, nice folks but this is their first dog. I sure don't want to interfere or cause any conflict as so far the pup seems great. But will my dogs be in danger from a working dog like this if he is not trained? Can the Malinois just grow up "right" on their own? My dogs never go out without me and are not allowed to leave our yard. But the two houses are inside a fenced compound of about 5 acres. Would it be better to "introduce" the dogs as playmates, or continue to respect the boundaries and hope the new kid does the same? So far the pup has made no attempt to cross into our yard to "join in" with my boys. But I know that could change as he matures. How would you approach this, or just let it go? I know I am a terrible worry wart and am trying not to "over think" this one.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Maybe letting the neighbors "happen"to see you doing some training with your dog's ,they will ask a few questions along the lines of "how did you teach your dog's to do that ", seems like a good way to break the ice if their pup is running wild ,and you just happen to be working on some heeling drills and your dogs are showing their manners of a fully trained dog.

Then you can gain insight on the temperament and over all attitude of the dog that will be living so close to you. It may be in your best interest to help train the neighbors (and their dog) dog or at least offer advise.

If they ask questions you are not being the nosey neighbor.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

I had a similar situation. My neighbors son moved back in along with his 120 pound german shepard. We let the dogs introduce themselves and and seemed to get along pretty good. That ended a couple weeks later when the shepard attacked my dog. my dog is never out unsupervised, now we have our own airing schedule and they are never out at the same time. In December I had my FT dog home for the month from the trainer......his dog "got out" and went after my little pup! It wasn't pretty...for the shepard as I intervened. So I would say hope they do the same and respect their boundaries!
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

Mals need a lot of socialization as pups or they can become inverted fear biters. They are generally very intelligent and have a high prey drive (which can be bad for smaller animals that run from them). I've had several and still have one and they are nice dogs, but do need to be trained right.

I have an American Boxer and family that have moved in behind me. I have not and prolly won't introduce my dogs to him or me to them. The poor dog is locked up in the garage most of the day. It has broken the garage window, jumped into their pool area and barks quite abit. I am always out with my guys just in case he escapes b/c they are noted for digging etc. Any owner that does not spend the time with these dogs training them, it would not IMO be a good idea to meet with them. And I do train in my backyard. I am just very wary!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

My parents have one and haven't done a great job training her. She has bitten when accidentally hurt and has tried to bite the vet. I don't trust her and never will. Although she respects me because I do not allow her to dominate me. She minds me better than my parents. She is also aggressive with unfamiliar dogs and is the dominant dog in the neighborhood. But she is very nice and playful with a young blind dog in the neighborhood. The neighborhood consists mainly of family. We don't live in their neighborhood and I don't allow our dogs to go for visits at my parent's house anymore since she is mature. With my parent's dog, I would do a lot of supervised interactions if I were their neighbor. Don't know your dog situation well enough to advise. Other than move to the country and don't have any neighbors.

Wow.... so quick to jump on the mal I looked at some stats.... 7 bites from a mal compared to 43 from labs....don't get me wrong here I love labs and will always have one around but behind the lab will always be a German shepherd or a mal, of course you have a reason to be worried somewhat because it could be horrible breeding... my German shepherd ems to have an incredible judge of character.... if somebody he doesn't know comes into the house or yard or even somebody walking towards myself or wife on a walk it's Almost an instinct weather he trusts them or not if so a polite greeting is given by him, if not he will put himself sideways in front of us until he is told other wise...hate to say it but usually it's other dogs that start fights and then the mal or shepherds finish it but it's never seen that way by oblivious owners owners who have a stero type about particular dog breed before they even get close to the dog. I get sick of reading people bash and so concerned about their own safety because a breed looks a certian way
    Zach Dyster

I've got a Lab and a Blue Heeler (they are called that for a reason!) - I understand how different they are, and agree that the OP has every right to be concerned about the potential for an untrained Mal next door. Not based on looks or stats(and really, how many more Labs than Mals are there?), but on the hard-wiring and original intent of the breed.

They are called "Mal-igators" for a reason. They are great dogs- their intelligence and intensity are amazing, but they are really not suitable for a first-time dog owner. Nipping and biting is a trait that is hard-wired into herding breeds (some more than others), and when that energy is properly channelled, it is useful in the working situation. They are not shy about using their mouths to control the situation... that is what they were meant to do with livestock, and, if not properly trained and socialized, they'll do it with running kids, bikers, other dogs, etc. A good bite and balanced temperament is valued on breeds like the Mal, GSD, and Beauceron that are being bred for Schutzhund, police/military work, and Ring Sport. They NEED to have a job and proper training to channel that energy. I would not want to imagine how calloused our ankles would be had we left our Heeler untrained!
    Last edited by Jake&Tex; 02-04-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Had a Mal as my police partner and of course he lived here at home. He played and ran with all the labs here with no issues. So I would think you'd have no problems as long as he's socialized properly like any other dog.

Smile Malinois Retriever

Hello,
    Mals do have to have a JOB and Hazel's is being a retriever! I have trained her as such since she was a baby and now she just turned 9 yrs old. Also have a retired MH choco Lab and a young 1.5 yr old derby yella Lab. Hazel has always trained with us and does everything the "big dogs do" up to a Qual level (including water!) We love their intelligence. Had another that lived to 12.5 yrs old and she was disabled in a wheelchair since she had been 5 yrs old. Her name was Flea. She had been a retriever, too and a herding dog until her accident. Anyway, we LOVE the breed and their VERSATILITY!!!
    Great hunter (as long as it's not TOO cold)!
    KM

sc008288d8.jpg (111.1 KB)
    Attached Images Attached Images