The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GDG! to Malinois owners or afficiandos

Update, the pup crossed the property line to come out and see my two older dogs, Lab and Chessie. He was cute, friendly, comfortably playful and was immediately taken under the wing of my chessie, (Scout has always liked pups). The only down side is that the owner could not get him to come back. I had my two sit by my side while the pups owner called and called while pup continued to bounce around and lick the big dogs in the face. So, there does not appear to be any fearfulness or meanness in him, he gets along well with other dogs, but he has ZERO OB yet. Up close I can tell he is not pure Mal, he has a little more softness in his contours and seems a little shorter bodied with a soft coat. But he is still one of the loveliest dogs I have seen. I have to find a way to offer to help with OB without insinuating criticism. I DO like this pup, and his owners too. Just want to be sure we can keep it that way! Thanks for the replies from you that know the breed.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Please Help!!! The neighbors pup is getting to be a real serious problem for me. My youngest dog is on crate rest and not supposed to be running or leaping. I lifted him down from the truck when we got back from training the older dogs, and before I could leash him and put in away, pup came flying and rolled right into him and it was on. No I don't mean fighting, but crazy puppy/young dog antics. I was able to grab Chief and drag him into the kennel with pup jumping all over. I bet he undid 3 weeks of crate rest. Today I was working the older dogs in the yard one at a time. Fortunately pup did not show up until it was Indy out, because while I am working on lining drills and "sit" drills, pup jumped right into him. Indy, bless his heart, tried to stay sitting and did not attack pup, but I could not get the bugger away from us. Finally I just put Indy away and then pup followed us into the garage where the kennels are and Scout went absolutely balistic. If he had not been shut up I don't think pup would be anymore! Just too much for Scout, that kind of trespassing.

The neighbor was home during all this, I guess he just didn't want to come out in the snow. I have suggested ob training for pup, and he just nods and says uh huh, and that is the end of it. I could go to the landlord that owns both properties, but that seems like stirring up trouble with someone who has welcomed our dogs. We have no fences between us, just the one surrounding the whole property and both houses. My dogs know not to cross over onto the neighbors side, plus they are never, ever outside on their own. Pup is not a bad dog but has been taught no boundaries. Should I just give up and not try to do yard work at home? I really don't want to move!!!!
    Carol,

Throw a tie out stake out in the yard. When you get home see if pup is out and about - put pup on stake, then put your dogs up. Same goes to training, see if pup is out, tie pup up, work your dogs, put dogs up, release pup.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

They are a shepard on crack they nd a job and lots of exercise

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Please Help!!! The neighbors pup is getting to be a real serious problem for me. My youngest dog is on crate rest and not supposed to be running or leaping. I lifted him down from the truck when we got back from training the older dogs, and before I could leash him and put in away, pup came flying and rolled right into him and it was on. No I don't mean fighting, but crazy puppy/young dog antics. I was able to grab Chief and drag him into the kennel with pup jumping all over. I bet he undid 3 weeks of crate rest. Today I was working the older dogs in the yard one at a time. Fortunately pup did not show up until it was Indy out, because while I am working on lining drills and "sit" drills, pup jumped right into him. Indy, bless his heart, tried to stay sitting and did not attack pup, but I could not get the bugger away from us. Finally I just put Indy away and then pup followed us into the garage where the kennels are and Scout went absolutely balistic. If he had not been shut up I don't think pup would be anymore! Just too much for Scout, that kind of trespassing.

The neighbor was home during all this, I guess he just didn't want to come out in the snow. I have suggested ob training for pup, and he just nods and says uh huh, and that is the end of it. I could go to the landlord that owns both properties, but that seems like stirring up trouble with someone who has welcomed our dogs. We have no fences between us, just the one surrounding the whole property and both houses. My dogs know not to cross over onto the neighbors side, plus they are never, ever outside on their own. Pup is not a bad dog but has been taught no boundaries. Should I just give up and not try to do yard work at home? I really don't want to move!!!!
    Honestly, it is just a frustrating situation and irresponsible dog ownership. After 20 years and 3 good neighbors who were responsible dog owners, I now have a younger couple with 2 boys as close neighbors that keep obtaining throw away craigslist dogs that last a few months and then others show up. Their fence cannot contain dogs.. it's a field fence and the dogs climb right thru it. The only good fence is the chain link boundary fence I put in 20 years ago between our properties. The neighbors dogs constantly get out and roams the neighborhood... and they are not little dogs.. two huge bloodhounds and a pointer currently... One hound has literally knocked me off my feet on my property running at me reinjurying my knee recently not to mention the constant baying and barking every evening for hours. The heeler mix they owned for a few months was crawling thru the fence into my back acreage and chasing my horses.

You can try talking to them and telling them the dog is interfering with your working your dogs in your own yard, but it will probably not make a difference. I tried the friendly, helpful, and cordial approach with my neighbor situation for over a year and it didn't work. Keep a dog crate handy and just stick the pup in the crate or tie up on a stake out chain while you are trying to work with your dogs will probably be a simpler and less confrontational solution. Release when done. If they question you about it, then it's a good opportunity to explain why you had to crate their dog.
    Last edited by frontier; 02-21-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

post a photo.......

I love the idea of a stake out. I'm just worried about antagonizing the folks we have to live so close to. When they rescued the pup, he was tied out on a chain in the cold and sun. So they may have real bad feelings about that. If that does not go over ok, I will try the crate. Right now, its just a PITA, but I am concerned for what happens in a few months when the pup matures and has no rules. My three intact males just manage to all get along, but if this one could be a real problem. If I had to take a wild guess, I would say he is a mix between mal and pitt and about 40#s at 5 months.
    Carol,

The guy doesn't understand that his dog knocked yours, who is on medical rest over and caused a problem?

I don't get it Carol?

Pretty soon they would be told to restrain the dog or the poor thing would be going away with animal control.
    Darrin Greene

Seriosly Carol, the dog is on your propery interfeing with your dogs. You should go over and visit and explain very carefully what is going on and why it's a problem. Then TELL them that you will stake the dog on THEIR yard whenever he comes over unattended.

There is nothing wrong with putting the ball in their court.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

2 months later and now I am looking for a different kind of advice from some of the OB folks on here. Long story somewhat shortened, I had a long talk with the neighbor about a week ago. I discovered that he has been dealing with a debilitating illness and expects to be wheel chair bound soon. He is in terrible pain and can hardly walk. He asked me to find a home for the Mallinois/Pitt cross pup, now about 5 or 6 months old. I went home and cried a while for being so self centered and being only aware of my difficulties.

The next morning I went and knocked on his door and asked him if I could start taking the pup out for a little while each day and see if I could help. I asked him if he wanted to keep the dog if we could teach him manners, to sit and to come when called. Then he gets all teary eyed, because he REALLY loves the dog, and he sees a pretty bleak road ahead without him. If the dog does not get better, the wife will make him get rid of it. So now, a week down the road, and pup knows his name, learned to "look" even with distractions, will hold a sit for about 3 minutes with me 5 yards away, and will even walk calmly on the lead with one of my dogs going along as distraction. (Indy has been a very stable, conscientious assistant). The owner had bought a "petsafe" e collar but has never used it yet. Thank goodness! So my plan is to follow up with CC on sit and here to make it easy for Kent to keep control of the dog without getting up. I plan on collar conditioning per the Lardy method as I have done with my 3. Any suggestions about differences I should be aware of for a pet dog? Will the owner be able to use it for negative punishment as well, such as making the dog stop digging up flowers and running off into neighbors' yards? I have trained Indy to retrieve objects for me, but of course he had regular FF and retriever training long ago. Is there a way to teach that to pup so that he can help Kent, (without having to go into full force program?) Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am pretty sure I am getting more out of this than Kent or the dog. It feels so good to be working with a dog for something other than myself. And by the way, I have really come to like this little dog. Smart, trusting, willing and affectionate. He just needed a chance.

Bolded part is what I'm looking for here!
    Carol,