The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GDG! to Malinois owners or afficiandos

Go Girl! You are doing God's work here, I believe the possibilities are endless for this little dog with you at the helm now.
    Please start an online journal for this project and let us and Kent follow your progress. It will help him understand more and possibly give him some determination.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Bless your heart. Beyond obedience, what this young dog needs is exercise. Any way to include the pup in long walks off lead? Good luck.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

Kelly, part of my plan is to get pup where he can join my pack on our 1.5 mile walks. He's not ready for that yet as part of his problem is poor socialization. He gets with my dogs and feels like the rules don't apply. He barks at other fenced dogs, charges all around, etc. I hope we get there soon because I agree with you! Of course my dogs get their "real" exercise from retriever training. Hasn't been much of that for a while! (Access to Federal lands closed till May 1) but maybe I could start taking him with us when we train and let him take part in the free time after working. Thanks, this is the kind of stuff I need help figuring out.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

May sound odd, but do retriever training with the dog. My parents have a Malinois and she loves to retrieve, so did her sire. See if your dog will retrieve and work him with your other dogs.

Give Pat Nolan a call: http://ponderosakennels.com/

He trains retrievers and protection work dogs, so he might have some good insight into crossing over with this pup. Plus, he's a super nice guy. Has lots of videos on youtube too. Good stuff!

Kathryn
    Never say never . . . never say always . . . know when to say when.

Carol, first off GOOD JOB! Here's a couple of suggestions.

1. Get your neighbor to buy a Dogtra e-collar. I have my clients get a 1900 NCP, half mile range collar. It has a nice, small transmitter with a belt clip and is a good, reliable unit. They could also get a Tri-Tronics Sport basic, but I find the Dogtra unit a bit slicker.

2. Start with a low level of stim and work up. You may find that dog to be VERY sensitive (or not) to stimulation. I have been surprised many times at how little pressure I need to put on a dog to get a change in behavior.

3. Use your normal rule of not adding pressure to any behaviors pup doesn't demonstrate proficiency in.

4. I would be careful to watch the body language carefully in any situation where you are putting stress on the dog. Every dog reacts differently to pressure. Our retrievers are usually very stable critters in general so as long as you're careful, no problems handling it. Rescues can sometimes be less stable.
    Darrin Greene

Thank you Kathryn and Darrin.. Both posts have some great ideas. I think I will get in touch with Pat (hopefully over this weekend) and see if he can point me to the right videos for this particular application. I have seen a few in the past, good stuff. Darrin, Kent has already bought a "PetSafe" ecollar, ($125). I checked it out the other day and I believe it will work for this. The low is very low, but it has a reasonable amount of difference between the levels. Dakota has been wearing the collar, turned off, while he learns the sit, stay, here routine. And I think he will be ok with very low pressure when the time comes. Can you be a little more specific about body language? I know I have a tendency to talk too much and touch too much. I am also going to try to get a photo of him to post. Thanks guys!
    Carol,

Carol, good for you! Thinking about what would have happened if you hadn't stopped in to talk with the owner... that poor dog would have probably gone to the pound.

When I enrolled in a dog obedience class that involved an ecollar for pet dogs, they did a slightly different procedure than what we do with our retrievers: it's more like what Pat Nolan does. Give a command (sit, heel, here, whatever) and tap, tap, tap on the momentary button until the dog complies. The level is set to the lowest level that the dog responds to (responds as in a tilt of the head or a brief pause as if "in thought," not a yelp.) The idea is that they learn to comply quickly and there will be fewer or no taps. I always felt that it worked fine for pet level training. If you can get this dog to learn basic obedience commands reliably, the guy may be able to keep and enjoy his dog, maybe even have the dog perform as a service dog, opening doors, etc. And if you can get him retrieving enough that the owner can use a chuck it to provide some exercise, you'll give him the tools to take care of his own dog. Good luck, it's not often we get a chance to so such good in the world.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Carol, I don't have much in the way of advice, but I want to encourage you and tell you that you are doing a great thing for this man and his dog...even if the dog has to be re-homed just imagine how much easier it will be with the training you've done.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Default Trying to post picture!

If this works, here is a picture I took this morning of Dakota. The long rope is for working on "here". He prefers to sit on it. He did very well, just wish I had a better pic. Shooting with the cell phone, he will be looking up all bright and happy where you can really see his expression, and then before the "click" he will be looking down at a bug or off at a bird! The PetSafe collar he is wearing has got to go. The thing is really useless. I put it on my arm and ran it through the numbers before attempting to use it for CC. Forget it. Does not fire half the time when you push the button, and is very, very weak stim. I suggested Kent take it back and see if he can get something a little better. Meanwhile I plan to use my TT on very low setting, momentary.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...count=1&ref=nf
    Carol,