The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Help! Pup likes to FREAK out with other dogs.

Default Help! Pup likes to FREAK out with other dogs.

So my training has been going great with my 1 yr Choco Tucker. He is great in the field and when we go train, BUT he like to play with other dogs so much he just books after them. He doesnt attack he just gets so damn excited he freaks out. When he is on the leash he just will bull and pull and flail his head and shoulders to get free.

Is there anything i can do to stop this? A similar situtation happens when Myself or GF return home. He is great until someone has another dog.

What i do when he does this: I demand he sits firm the whole time another dog is around. I do give him a spank on the rear if needed. This works for the time being. When he is with my GF she can barely hold the leash with him. He is about 70#s.
    Last edited by Corey Capozzi; 02-03-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: addidtion
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them- Thomas Jefferson.

--Quackhunter--

get him around other dogs more often and keep up the control on the lead, have the gf help with training so he knows she is in control as well. I think once he is accustomed to being around other dogs he should start to chill out.

Is he in a kennel when you return home? If he is leave him alone at first and do not let the gf do the whole baby talk thing because she is happy to see him as well, my wife worked out of town and started with the crazy praise and excitement when she got home and my cool as a cucumber female at the time would go nuts, she backed off on the crazy greeting and so did the dog.

Is there anything i can do to stop this?
    First of all, you must come to grips with the idea that he is doing what you allow.....not his fault. That is the most difficult part.

To stop this behavior you probably will need help....like in 1) put a pinch collar on him, 2) don't allow him to be loose without it (until new standards are established), 3) properly stick condition him and 4) use the heeling stick to enforce newly taught OB skills (which he presently doesn't have).
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    First of all, you must come to grips with the idea that he is doing what you allow.....not his fault. That is the most difficult part.

To stop this behavior you probably will need help....like in 1) put a pinch collar on him, 2) don't allow him to be loose without it (until new standards are established), 3) properly stick condition him and 4) use the heeling stick to enforce newly taught OB skills (which he presently doesn't have).
    So i know that its me or us allowing him to do this. I do use a pinch collar but it seems like i dont use it when we come into contact with other dogs. I will start to use it EVERY time i leave the house with him. When he freaks out to i just apply pressure with the collar and a tap on the butt with the healing stick?
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them- Thomas Jefferson.

--Quackhunter--

When we get home we do leave him alone for a few minutes. He does not bark or freak out. For instance, one of us will be at home and tucker will be laying on the couch lets say and he will jump off the couch and be so excited. My GF does talk to him the way you describe like a baby. I will be putting a stop to that.

--Quackhunter--

Here is a scenario:

Ill be walking Tucker, my friend will come out with is 12 week old Boxer. I make tucker sit, and he does. I command stay, and he does. A few seconds later he will give everything he has to try to get to the puppy. I quickly apply upward pressue which makes him sit, but he will still struggle. i spank him on the rear, decently hard, and he chills for about 20 seconds.

Would it help if i let Tucker play with my buddies dogs a few times a week? i read somewhere that other dogs invite bad habits?

--Quackhunter--

Looking under your signature, (and it is the same over here!!).Yawn.
    And it don't matter the breed!..or whether you aspire to test/trial/hunt/ or even go for Agility!..You can even try Clicker', or even Throwing a Hand grenade!, and a pinch collar ain't gonna cut it' with what you have described? (IMO) !
    Simples: It sounds like GOOD OLD basic obedience has gone south for the winter?..Oh ! and bye the way ! They (dog's) don't understand Human language!!, so you can say anything you want to these (dog's) aka (autistic children) , in any language you want!! to get off the couch!!
    Phew!!! ..Don't shoot the messenger? ....Just had a similar session ,but all come good when the dog (and handler) got the 'Picture'?
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Thanks Polaise you hit it on the head!. He is just my hunting buddy but only recently he started getting this excited. When he plays with other dogs he is excited for about 1 minute. I just am so embarrassed when he has his little excited delirum sessions LOL

--Quackhunter--

The GF and i have been using the pinch collar consitantly and it makes a HUGE difference. He doesnt pull anymore, if he is mis behaving i give a quick correction by pulling up on the collar and he sits immedialty. Everytime he does something wrong i just remember he is only doing what i allow him to.

Thank All!

--Quackhunter--

Obedience isn't an "only when you're out in public" deal, although I think we're all guilty of letting it get sloppy around the home. What I've found most helpful is to take obedience classes with the pup. I take all mine, starting with puppy kindergarten then basic good manners. Now granted you likely won't be learning much you don't already know, and if you start talking hunt test/hunting training many will look at you in horror, but this isn't the point. You and pup are there to proof what you're working on at home, around other dogs (the more out of control Labradoodles and drop kick sized yappy little ankle biters, the better!). This setting is the best way to work on basic obedience commands around other dogs in a controlled environment. It also serves as a good way to clean up the very human tendency to double command and/or train our dogs that they don't have to respond until the 2nd or 3rd command. You may not be allowed to use a prong collar in some of the classes--and that's OK, you'll just have to work harder to get your dog to concentrate on you and not the other dogs.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981