The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrier Studs vs Carrier Dams.

I'll second Barb's vote! A voice of reason! If we don't watch it and don't use carriers, we're going to reduce our gene pool!

Funny! I've got a double whammy Labrador breeding coming up!

I've got a pure yellow, EIC Carrier female that I'm breeding to a pure chocolate, EIC clear male!

Holy crow!!

Not one affected or non-pigmented yellow in the whole litter!

Sue Puff

Quote Originally Posted by J Connolly View Post
    Breeding a clear to a carrier will not eliminate the gene from the pool as 50% will end up carriers. The point no one seems to be making , and it is an important one, there are a lot of important traits to breed for other than breeding for clear pups. Carriers are unaffected and shouldn't be looked down on. Use the test to prevent producing affected puppies . Keep your gene pool diverse and your options open.
    Last edited by suepuff; 02-04-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: added something
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

It is about the buyer!!! Plane and simple. I have breed carriers but as I get a new gereration of girls I am keeping only clear dogs for myself. It is just one less thing to have to explain to people. The losers are the boy dogs that have won and proven themselves as great dogs but are carriers. It is just easier to sell an all clear litter. If I really liked a FC that was a carrier and I wanted a pup out of him I would breed one of my clear girls to him. If it is a stud I believe in. Or if a NFC/NAFC was a carrier and the market showed that people wanted the pups I would breed a clear to that stud but it is not prudent to for me to breed to a stud that is a carrier when I can breed to a clear. All things being for the most part equal.

We are for the most part talking about labs, a breed with lots of choices for studs. Another breed with less choice the considerations change!!!