RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

When to evaluate a puppies marking skills

4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  yellow machine 
#1 ·
Wanted to throw this question out the group,

At what age or at what stage in the training program do you start really evaluating your puppies marking ability?

I have a 16 week old puppy with a lot of drive, she's marking off of the gunner at distances between 40 to 70 yards. If the gunner sees that she's pulling into him/her another bird or bummper is thrown.

I have to say I'm really happy with how pup is currently running and even marking. At this point I believe I'm really training for momentum rather than pin point marks. I don't believe it's possible to truly evaluate a puppy who is so excited that she's swinging her head and basically trying to break free from the hold that she cannot possibly be concentrating on the mark itself.

And just for the sake of conversation I'm only throwing my puppies marks in light cover or flat golf course type lawn conditions.

#3 ·
I hope some seasoned owners and trainers weigh-in on this. It would be interesting to hear some experienced opinions.

My pup is now 11 months old and really coming into her own and nailing difficult marks. She was a go-getter from day one, cart wheeling when she hit the dummies/birds, but when we started (too soon) to stretch her out and test her on more difficult marks, we could see, it was a struggle. So neat to see she has developed that skill. Also fun when you realize pup really does have a good memory on multiples.

#7 ·
Taking a pup from seven weeks old through puppy training, young dog basics, transition, derby and qualifying into the all age stakes is a many years process. During that process you are constantly analyzing many, many attributes. Marking ability is important, but it is just one of those many attributes. When you have a young pup who obviously shows he is a great natural marker that is something to be excited about, but a dog needs skills way beyond the simple ability to mark in order to suceeed in our sport, so I don't get overly excited with my natural marker. Developing a young dog is a constant step by step process where you constantly analyze, build on strengths and minimize weaknesses, and every step of the way you are worrying and waiting for some fatal flaw to rear its ugly head, definately not for the weak of heart.

To answer the OP's question; I have had dogs show remarkable marking ability from a very young age, three to four months while other dogs I have owned, developed into good markers after years of training and experience running trials, sometimes that later dog becomes the more complete dog. You can relish that talented young marker but don't dispair if your dog doesn't appear that great early on, it is a long and bumpy ride to the complete dog.

#4 ·
When your pup is doing well at 70 yards, move in to 50 and throw the marks (white bumpers) as far away from the gun as they can throw.

#5 ·
I don't even like questions like this. I don't even start to care until they are about 16 months old. too many other things to worry about... ie: peeing outside, sitting, retrieving in general. Everyone with a new retriever puppy gets hung up on distance. One person kept saying, "I did a 300 yard mark with Fido (8 or 9 months old) .... " My reply was "really? Mine doesn't pee in the crate!" Concentrate on building a solid foundation, desire, and a work ethic. Leave the distance to later.

#8 ·
Wanted to throw this question out the group,

I have to say I'm really happy with how pup is currently running and even marking. At this point I believe I'm really training for momentum rather than pin point marks. I don't believe it's possible to truly evaluate a puppy who is so excited that she's swinging her head and basically trying to break free from the hold that she cannot possibly be concentrating on the mark itself.

I agree with what Susan and John say, albeit I think John minimizes marking when he says it is just one of many attributes. It is one of many attributes but I feel it is on a higher or more important plane than the others and can be "the deal breaker" so to speak.; on the dogs ultimate potential

I think I'd be working on steadying this pup up now in order to avoid fighting that issue for a long time, and also to be better able to evaluate his abilities

#9 ·
Sorry didn't eman to minimize the trait, I just think people overreact at what they percieve at a very young age. Marking ability is the most important thing a retriever can have. I'm coming from a postition where it is assumed that based on breeding alone, FC-AFC sires and Dams, that any pup is going to be a good marker in the end, it's just that some pups show a remarkable ability early on, while some others take time to develop into good markers. Also a good marker who is tractible on blinds and very honest in the water might well be the better overall dog compared to that fantastic marker who is overconfident and less tractible on blinds.

#11 ·
It sound like you have a real nice pup their, but like others I say you have a long road ahead of you. I do not start taking a hard look at my dogs full potential until their about 21/2,3 yr's old. I am looking for desire, train-ability and work ethic in my young ones.

#12 ·
Taking a pup from seven weeks old through puppy training, young dog basics, transition, derby and qualifying into the all age stakes is a many years process. During that process you are constantly analyzing many, many attributes. Marking ability is important, but it is just one of those many attributes. When you have a young pup who obviously shows he is a great natural marker that is something to be excited about,
The great natural marker is the one I want to train. Hopefully, I can do my part.

#13 ·
Agreed, what one should concentrate on are the mechanics of a mark. Doing your pre basics, solid basics, socialization the first 14 weeks or so. A good marker will develop during the first year or so. A great marker, well you will know and won't have to ask. Training for the derby, junior or started, means nothing, if the pup has line manner issues, doesn't know how to set itself up for the mechanics of a mark, isn't obedient, not noisy , can't air or go potty without covering a quarter of a mile, comes when called, eats all it's food at a set time, and becomes a good canine citizen. I have had more then one five month old that could do a 300 or 350 yard mark. Now lets run a bunch of 350 yard singles then wonder why the year old rascal won't check up on a 75 yard short bird.

#14 ·
Excellent feedback from the group and I appreciate that.

I asure the group I am training for a complete dog and I do have a great support system(RTF group included in support system).

Much appreciated,

#19 ·
I hear you MG !
But over here the 'water ain't that still'!...even if you get it from 'Highland Spring'. Them 'Gall's ' are asking 'water retrieves' ,over distance !! ?..In a straight line.
Now that just ain't gonna happen with a Scottish River in full flow!, unless we use a new version of 'Outboard motor,or Gyro Collar'
However, for those that ain't seen it, Here is one Chesapeake' goin the distance over here;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJwWWU-wegA&list=PLB5732A00143EACFB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.