The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When to evaluate a puppies marking skills

It sound like you have a real nice pup their, but like others I say you have a long road ahead of you. I do not start taking a hard look at my dogs full potential until their about 21/2,3 yr's old. I am looking for desire, train-ability and work ethic in my young ones.

Taking a pup from seven weeks old through puppy training, young dog basics, transition, derby and qualifying into the all age stakes is a many years process. During that process you are constantly analyzing many, many attributes. Marking ability is important, but it is just one of those many attributes. When you have a young pup who obviously shows he is a great natural marker that is something to be excited about,
    The great natural marker is the one I want to train. Hopefully, I can do my part.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Agreed, what one should concentrate on are the mechanics of a mark. Doing your pre basics, solid basics, socialization the first 14 weeks or so. A good marker will develop during the first year or so. A great marker, well you will know and won't have to ask. Training for the derby, junior or started, means nothing, if the pup has line manner issues, doesn't know how to set itself up for the mechanics of a mark, isn't obedient, not noisy , can't air or go potty without covering a quarter of a mile, comes when called, eats all it's food at a set time, and becomes a good canine citizen. I have had more then one five month old that could do a 300 or 350 yard mark. Now lets run a bunch of 350 yard singles then wonder why the year old rascal won't check up on a 75 yard short bird.
    Earl Dillow

Excellent feedback from the group and I appreciate that.

I asure the group I am training for a complete dog and I do have a great support system(RTF group included in support system).

Much appreciated,
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    I hope some seasoned owners and trainers weigh-in on this. It would be interesting to hear some experienced opinions.

My pup is now 11 months old and really coming into her own and nailing difficult marks. She was a go-getter from day one, cart wheeling when she hit the dummies/birds, but when we started (too soon) to stretch her out and test her on more difficult marks, we could see, it was a struggle. So neat to see she has developed that skill. Also fun when you realize pup really does have a good memory on multiples.
    ...Me Too?...
    As I have found that there are some at 3 month old doin things that an 11 month old can do!..Then the 14 month old is just the same as all the rest!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW6KwfSpLPU
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    ...Me Too?...
    As I have found that there are some at 3 month old doin things that an 11 month old can do!..Then the 14 month old is just the same as all the rest!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW6KwfSpLPU
    Now add water and flat terrain with same distance?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Now add water and flat terrain with same distance?
    Water isn't a problem,It just slows this pup down when we are creating a desire in training for a mark!..Flat terrain in Scotland is pretty short in supply
    all the very best

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    Flat terrain in Scotland is pretty short in supply
    You might "try" Murrayfield or Ibrox, Robt. - or as offered, the "near" vicinity of my front yard.

I like to evaluate their marking while they're "evaluating" the likelihood

of another mark falling in front of them.

MG

I hear you MG !
    But over here the 'water ain't that still'!...even if you get it from 'Highland Spring'. Them 'Gall's ' are asking 'water retrieves' ,over distance !! ?..In a straight line.
    Now that just ain't gonna happen with a Scottish River in full flow!, unless we use a new version of 'Outboard motor,or Gyro Collar'
    However, for those that ain't seen it, Here is one Chesapeake' goin the distance over here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJwW...732A00143EACFB

Very nice!
    FC AFC Slider/Junie