The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lardy TRT Indirect Pressure Question

I believe that for shopping , IF you are nicking on "here" when you want a dog to pick up a bumper and come in, it would be indirect pressure. If You are nicking for "fetch" it would be direct pressure. Now if the dog started to come in without the bumper and you " back Nick backed", that would be direct pressure
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

I did some more reading. In Lardy's RJ article on indirect pressure. He says "If your dog stands over the pile, you could try 'sit'-nick-'fetch'.

I thought it was interesting that he said you could "try".
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Daren, you and I were typing at the same time. See my post above. Lardy does say take care of the shopping issue with a rope in simple casting. If this is done right then shopping the pile won't be an issue. The number of times that Rowdy or Hank have shopped the pile can be counted on two fingers. It's best to get this issue resolved with rope control.
    Wayne

Thanks for that post, what cd does he say that on? in his segment on disk 2 of TRT v2 for indirect pressure he only says indirect can be used for shopping too but doen't explain how, and I didn't hear anything about a rope. Was that on disk 1 in formal obiedence. I skipped that as my dog was already formal OB when I bought the Lardy series.

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    Wayne

My dog is collar conditioned. Lardy does collar conditioning at end of disk 1, then indirect pressure with ecollar doing simple casting at start of disk 2, then ecollar fetch in prep for pile work. I haven't watched the ecollar fetch segment which follows indirect pressure on the disk

do not worry about only watching the part of the vid your working on. It is OK to stop and watch the entire set right now. your not going to spoil the ending. you need to have the whole program in your head. Not just todays lesson.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Disc 1, Part 7, Simple Casting. Starts talking about shopping right at the end of three bumpers and right before putting out piles. While he is doing simple casting with a rope he make several statements about getting this right because if you don't it will haunt you all the rest of the time you are doing drills or something like that. At first he call is messing around with the bumpers and then later defines it as shopping. Then in the closing he states something about going directly to one bumper as being the end product of this drill.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 02-04-2013 at 04:53 PM.
    Wayne Nutt

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    I believe that for shopping , IF you are nicking on "here" when you want a dog to pick up a bumper and come in, it would be indirect pressure. If You are nicking for "fetch" it would be direct pressure. Now if the dog started to come in without the bumper and you " back Nick backed", that would be direct pressure
    I wouldn't be nicking on anything until I had done CC'ing...If I nick on a here I would expect my dog to come to me ...not turn and pick up a bumper...then I would ear pinch the dog to the pile ..In my program we do fetch to a pile after we come off the table or finish ff to a single bumper and stick fetch...This is where it is cleaned up with a rope, a long time before we ever get to simple casting...Does any one on the forum use the Danny Farmer program ? I'm talking from start to finish...Has any one been to his seminars...? Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

I agree with that, def NO nicking until cc is done. I was just explaining where it would be direct pressure and where indirect pressure.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    I agree with that, def NO nicking until cc is done. I was just explaining where it would be direct pressure and where indirect pressure.
    I gotcha ..I wasn't assuming you did it that way ..I was just commenting about what you wrote...There had been some discussion on when the CC'ing is done in Lardy's program in relation to the use of so called indirect pressure on the simple casting drill...It seems there is a discrepancy between written material and cd's... Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Steve, You might have hit on a subject for a poll. Which program do people follow? List some of the major ones: Lardy, Graham, Rick S., Farmer and even have an other category. I don't know how to do this. Do you?
    Wayne Nutt

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Steve, You might have hit on a subject for a poll. Which program do people follow? List some of the major ones: Lardy, Graham, Rick S., Farmer and even have an other category. I don't know how to do this. Do you?

NO....I'm computer illiterate....Can type pretty good though ...I have never heard his program mentioned..Not as advertised as the others..If you haven't been to one of his seminars they probably have never known it excised...I'll tell you a little story from the first seminar of his I went to...He was telling the importance of following the program ...He said " If Judy had told him to jack up the right front tire and take it off and lay it on the ground beside the truck then go train, that is what I would have done....Put the tire back on before going home.." Pretty strong words on following the program ....Steve S