The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yea! Dog Food Again.....

Dooley, I switched to Blue Buffalo Wilderness from Victor High Energy. Very happy with the results!

Bury my head?

With a snobby comment like that it's hardly worth participating any further.

The THEME here @RTF is well set.

Just to let exeryone know I do my best to feed what I am told is the "BEST".
    I feed PP puppy (Foucs) and plan on staying with it for a while. I do not plan on changing because I have a very healthy 9 week old as of yesterday; and he hit the scales at 16.6 at the vet today. Was just a food question that has got out of hand.

I'm getting a new lab pup in mid-April and have been reading this thread with interest as well as looking at dry puppy food. Quite confusing! Is there a Vet out there? If so what is the guidance on the percentage of protein, fat and carbs? Any particular ratio of any of these components to use as a guide. Is a food with a protein level of 42% too much protein? Any advice is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by TimberDog View Post
    Was just a food question that has got out of hand.
    Happens about 10 times a day on this forum, which is why most read and don't post.

Later

Quote Originally Posted by TimberDog View Post
    Has anyone used 4Health Performance Dog food from Tractor Supply. According to Dog food Advisor it is a 5 Star product, and ranks higher than my PPP for less money and has a lot of the same supplements unless I am missing something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom. P. View Post
    The dogfood advisor seems to be very thorough in His assesments
    But every dogs system is unique. You may have to try some of the food and keep close tabs on Your dog
    Here is why I don't trust Dog Food Advisor.

1) The foods are ranked strictly based on the ingredient list. No other consideration is given.
    2) DFA assumes that meat in all dog food is listed higher based on water weight. I am not going to research every food on the list, but as has been posted here before Pro Plan lists the ingredients in order as-fed.(after drying)
    3) DFA downgrades foods that contain grains. While it's true dogs in the wild don't eat grain, they are not strict carnivores. If you have ever seen cow, deer, or other animal killed by dogs, you will know the first thing they eat is the stomach and it's content. The grains in dog food are just like the ones in a cows stomach, processed.