Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Ron Paul TWEETS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    RP does not back-peddle and never has.

?
    Ha Ha, you funny man!
    so, exactly what is ol' Ron's abortion view?
    one day he is against federal law, next day he is signing some pledge for the other side.
    christian when he wants to be? typical politition, nothing new to see here.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    As I predicted, back pedaling!
    Hardley back pedaling!

A consistent message founded in his religion and political beliefs and the courage to speak up.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    It is amazing how a quote from the Bible upsets so-called Christians when it doesn't fit their war agenda.
    It's probably b/c it's not actually a quote from the bible. That quote is simply not in there. I challenge you to find it.

However it seems many, including RP, have taken that particular phrase and used it to make a statement that gets incorrectly attributed to a statement in the Bible. You can see this by looking at the wiki article on the phrase.

It’s quite pathetic as I’ll show.

From Wiki;
    “Live by the sword, die by the sword”
    The phrase is found in the Christian Book of Revelation, 13:10:
    Now next we should expect to see this phrase right? But no, we see this>
    "He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints."
    Wait where was the “Live by the sword die by the sword” I mean if you try and fit it in there you can I suppose but it's surely not a lock IMO considering the CONTEXT.

If you read the only two verses(Where this exact phrase is NOT found), if you read them (IN CONTEXT) I don't see how anyone would think that this was some parable that Jesus was giving to live by in the future and surely NOT relevant to the way Ron Paul used it to begin with. It was a specific incident in a specific timeline and a statement was made for the benefit of the disciple Jesus was talking too.

However, judging by what I see in this thread understanding the difference between the Old Law and New Testament and understanding context will be difficult. It seems some of you think the OT was written for Christians and that Christians who aren't sacrificing goats and growing beards are...well not really Christians. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Last edited by Dustin D; 02-05-2013 at 07:45 AM.

To add in why I believe it's wrongly attributed to the Bible.

Sometimes we are called to war/violence, as was Chris and as seen in the Bible.

However does that mean Chris or myself, lived by the sword? and once home away from War, we are destined to be gunned down on the street?

Not only is this phrase wrongfully attributed, its horrible misused in this case.

very well said Dustin!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Dustin I appreciate your thoughts on this, i would like to make a couple statements though

The Old testament was written for Christians as well. The NT alone does not give the redemptive historical perspective of God, and Christ is throughout the OT if you just look for him.

I still have a hard time finding when we are called to war in Christ's teachings, spiritual war yes. I feel like it is easy to become like the Jews (who were wrong) who thought that Christ was supposed to be a political leader for a political revolution, when all he came for was spiritual revolution.

But if christians go to war they should follow the "just war" doctrines. (Fight to protect the innocent, only attack combatants, minimal civilian casualties) This is where RP is against the wars we fight now. They do not follow the tradition of the Just War doctrines at all.

Live by sword/die by sword- I think substituting "live" instead of take-up (the greek word does not have a good english counterpart) has happened over time but the truth is still there. If our culture is violent to other cultures, we should not be suprised when we are violent to ourselves or other cultures return violence. America has lost much of its morality in war, not so much on the soldiers level, but the top level.

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    .....I still have a hard time finding when we are called to war in Christ's teachings.

Chris not Christ, the dead Seal who was called to war.

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    The Old testament was written for Christians as well.
    Yes, yes, well I was directing my comment towards Franco really.

I assumed well read Christians would comprehend what my point was. It seems you have.

Even the devil quotes scripture when it suits his needs.

Quote Originally Posted by cripes View Post
    Even the devil quotes scripture when it suits his needs.
    You calling me Satan?

LOL