The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Force Fetch Question

Thanks. I think it is possesiveness. When I say here he lifts his head and gives it to me. When he was on real birds very mouthy and doesn't want to give them up and when he does, he will sometimes lunge at the bird trying to take it back and he did catch my hand once and it was all I could do to keep from responding harshly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent S View Post
    Thanks. I think it is possesiveness. When I say here he lifts his head and gives it to me. When he was on real birds very mouthy and doesn't want to give them up and when he does, he will sometimes lunge at the bird trying to take it back and he did catch my hand once and it was all I could do to keep from responding harshly.
    If he is lunging for the bird once taken ,you are probably dealing with possessiveness ...Sit means sit ...give the command just before you take the bird and reenforce it if he moves...Reinforce your drop or leave it command ...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Banned

FWIW...I favor Evan's "indirect pressure" technique....i.e. correct on HERE for the avoidance fault. At some point, the DROP command should also be introduced if it hasn't been already. Possessiveness can be a minor issue or it can get you dropped from a Trial or Hunt test.

(-:

Sounds like possessiveness to me. You do not want this infraction to turn into something big in the future and become more serious than a slight avoidance issue. To reiterate whats already been said. Have a lead on pup and go through the drill. If pup moves his head away from you Command "Sit" snap lead "SIT" and Command "Give". Continue this until you have compliance. Good Luck