The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cattail removal from training ponds

Default Cattail removal from training ponds

For those who have training ponds, how are you keeping the cattails under control? Can you spray, and if so how long do the dogs need to remain out of the ponds? Mechanical methods? Cut them out? Pulling?HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck, spray, burn, and dig the bulbs then wait for them to grow back

Have not have much success with various sprays. They will turn brown but that is all. Pulling them is back-breaking.

Only good method I have found that works is a long arm backhoe every few years when they creep out to far.

Once dug out stocking with sterile grass carp can help in the prevention of new growth.

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Carrion; 02-04-2013 at 06:54 PM.
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

At our last house I got 4 Mexican guys to come out and hand pull them. They would take a deep breath and go underwater to pull them up by the roots. After the first day they told me there was a gator in the pond. I didn't believe them, but shot a 5 footer the next day. didn't seem to bother them.

Agree the best way is to get a long arm back hoe and scrape them out.
    Tom Dorroh

I cut them off with hedge clippers just below the water line. It drowns them. (River Bulrush are harder...)

I got an out of control population under control with aquatic glycophosphate and a surfactant. I applied the glycophosphate to the cattails as they were growing rapidly. You most likely will have to retreat after you knock the population back and I do this every year with glycophosphate. I do not have a cattail problem now.

Once they become a problem they are hard to get under control. We pull some every year. You can help control them from spreading by cutting off the seed heads before they mature and disposing of them by burning, etc.. Never heard of the hedge clippers method but I'll definitely give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by arourke View Post
    I got an out of control population under control with aquatic glycophosphate and a surfactant. I applied the glycophosphate to the cattails as they were growing rapidly. You most likely will have to retreat after you knock the population back and I do this every year with glycophosphate. I do not have a cattail problem now.
    This is your best option, and timing is important. Also plan on several applications. Depending on the product, your dogs will be safe using the pond after the chemical has dried on the plant.

Drowning by mowing or cutting below water also works but is much harder work and less successful.

MI DNR uses fire and then floods above the stubs and maintains the water levels. As others have said drowning them. Somewhat depends on your ability to maintain the flooded stage.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by arourke View Post
    I got an out of control population under control with aquatic glycophosphate and a surfactant. I applied the glycophosphate to the cattails as they were growing rapidly......
    Well duh!

(I have no idea what those big words mean.)

I do know that Redmax used to make a very expensive reciprocating weedwhacker, that would cut cattails off below the water surface. And Stihl has a power scythe attachment for their solid shaft trimmers, that can do the same.