The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cattail removal from training ponds

round up made for ponds with sticky stuff....
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Here's a demo of the Redmax. I didn't know that cutting cattails is illegal in some states.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Good luck, spray, burn, and dig the bulbs then wait for them to grow back
    As I understand cat tails are like tulips.or Easter Flowers....after the bloom if you cut the head off too soon it will kill the bulb ..It needs to make a head to supply stuff back to the bulb...All we do at our pond is when they make that big seed pod , go around and cut them off and bag them The remains make good cover and barriers... until they dry up....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

[QUOTE=copterdoc;1064325]Well duh!

(I have no idea what those big words mean.)

At least I knew what a surfactant is ...we put that stuff on diapers many years ago to help them absorb the water ....that other stuff I have no clue, sounds like antifreeze.. ....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

glyphosate is more commonly known as Roundup it becomes inactive once it touches the soil because it binds tightly to it, I have never heard of a water safe round up though and I would really hope you never put surfactant on a diaper considering it helps break down the surface tension of water and gives chemicals longer to be absorbed by the plant as it keeps them "wetter longer" it is also in most dish soaps and laundry soaps.
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Rodeo is the aquatic version of roundup. There are many other products similar to rodeo that use glyphosate as the main active ingredient and are safe to use around water.

I used a product called Rodeo several times. It's made for water plants and fairly expensive. It did kill them for about 6 months.
    Tom Dorroh

Have had good results with "Catt Plex"
    Use 4 gal backpack sprayer. Mix as directed add 1 ounce of Dawn dish soap. This causes the product to adhere to the stalks. It is absorbed and carried to root.
    Kills the plant and the root permanently.
    I buy it from Fleet Farm. Not cheap but a little goes a long way.
    Last edited by Ray Kirkpatrick; 02-04-2013 at 09:40 PM.
    Ray K

SHR Princess Lillian Vl
    SHR Deke of Sunnyburke SH
    HRCH UH Ray's Cotton Pickin' Jake MH, 500 Pt Club, 02-11
    SHR Callie May JH, 98-09
    SR Gus "The Wonder Dog" JH, 91-01

Quote Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
    glyphosate is more commonly known as Roundup it becomes inactive once it touches the soil because it binds tightly to it, I have never heard of a water safe round up though and I would really hope you never put surfactant on a diaper considering it helps break down the surface tension of water and gives chemicals longer to be absorbed by the plant as it keeps them "wetter longer" it is also in most dish soaps and laundry soaps.
    That was the purpose of it ..to break down the surface tension of the water so it could pass through the outer sheet faster and be absorbed better into the deeper absorbent core...Steve S

Quote Originally Posted by arourke View Post
    I got an out of control population under control with aquatic glycophosphate and a surfactant. I applied the glycophosphate to the cattails as they were growing rapidly. You most likely will have to retreat after you knock the population back and I do this every year with glycophosphate. I do not have a cattail problem now.
    This works. Rodeo plus a surfactant. Without a surfactant the Rodeo is much less effective.

The problem with Roundup is that the surfactant is not safe for acquatic amphibians. Rodeo has no surfactant so you need to add one certified for acquatic use.
    Last edited by Sabireley; 02-04-2013 at 11:24 PM.