The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: collar fetch

Default collar fetch

I just completed day 3 of collar fetch yesterday and I am getting a pretty big struggle from the dog that I did not get in the regular ear pinch phase. She has figured out how to turn off the pressure with the collar but in between fetches waiting for the next fetch/buzz she is struggling a lot to get away and back up from me. She also has gotten sticky on the bumper that I don't think we had before. Do you keep going until the struggle to get away goes away completely? I also tried a few from the ground and she jumps right down to scoop them up when pressure is applied but still the same struggle in between repitions. I know she has just gotten wise to know what is coming so it is an avoidance thing, and she is being sticky b/c she doesn't want it out of her mouth because she will get the fetch/collar again shortly after.

Any advice on how to proceed and what to look for when you are complete transitioning fetch to the collar?

Thanks

Lots of folks on here with a TON more experience than I, but I'll offer up what seems to stand out-
    Kinda' dangerous for folks to assume your dog was CC'd prior to Collar FETCH..So I'll ask-she was right?

Secondly, the possiblity exists that by going to the ground before you're done on the table could invite some confusion. There's enough confusion with a dog that is ready to move into transition on the ground. You're asking the same thing of the dog, but on the ground instead. Kinda' sorta' the same "confusion" as Collar FETCH. You're asking the same thing of the dog , but in a different way..as in a different kind of pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by WAPPS12H View Post
    I also tried a few from the ground and she jumps right down to scoop them up when pressure is applied but still the same struggle in between repitions.
    Could only offer up that when we go to Collar FETCH on the table, we still pinch an ear and use the Collar at the same time, and then progress to just using the collar exclusively. Takes a bit of the confusion out of it, but the only thing is- ya' might need an x-tra set of hands, depending on how anbidextrous you are
    Timing is everything.
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

This is one reason why I CC to OB before I go to the table. Sit means sit and give means give. Her being nerves or avoidance is not necessarily collar pressure, it can just be training pressure. doing the same thing over and over.

Are you following any particular program for this?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

yes fowl dawgs 1

My approach for CC to fetch is very different, so I won't coach you away from your program. But what e-collar are you using?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

― George Bernard Shaw

sport dog 400

If you train with someone who could loan you a TT pro 500, or a Dogtra 3500, or something similar, it may help your efforts. Each is highly variable, and the steps up and down scale are more gradual. Just a thought.

Evan

― George Bernard Shaw

I second Evans suggestion, I have a 400 as does a friend that I train with. We experienced many avoidance issues...Once I bought a pro 500 a lot of things cleared up on their own. In my experience low-end collars make force training much more difficult and stressful(for all involved) than it needs to be.

yes against everything i read on the SD collars, I still bought one. I'll learn one day maybe