The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: G3 TriTronics Pro series ...how do you manage your charging?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • I keep my transmitter and receiver on the cradle whenever I'm not training.

33 19.41%
  • I keep them off the charger for days or weeks before charging.

129 75.88%
  • Other - please explain

8 4.71%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How often do you Charge your TriTronics Pro 100, 200, 500 or Flyway (G3)

I had a collar (G2 Field 90) die on me and was told by Tritronics to keep the receiver and transmitter in the charger at all times. I have been doing this with my PRO 500 (now two years old) and recently have been getting a blinking red light on the collar charger and the battery feels hot. Now I'm wondering if constant charging is a good thing? Its always good with any battery to change immediately after use, but I am not sure how the Tritronics charger works.

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    Chris, I have Flyway & ran tracer lights on my collars and wondered if using them was allowing water to get in the collars I have since quit using them also. Wondering if you could elaborate a bit on your problems with them.
    I have chosen to use an LED collar that turns manually on and off. It is a totally separate product and is not made by TT. I have one LED collar for each dog. I frequently run all of them simultaneously in the dark. I could not find a way to make the tracer work well personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Tri-Tronics is a site sponsor? Do they ever have a representative chime in and give advice on their products? Just curious?
    Yes TT is a sponsor. We do have a few folks who post on RTF who are TT reps.

If they choose to advise on how they charge their transmitters and collars, they're welcome to.

I chose to create the poll to get the general feel of the RTF membership.

I've found when I do these that I tend to get the general jist of the split within the first few hours of the poll. After that, the ongoing voting tends to maintain the same general percent split (usually).

My takeaway is that about 80% leave their stuff off the charger and recharge on some varied schedule. About 20% choose to put their equipment on the cradle whenever they return home or to the shop after training each day.

Thanks to those of you who have responded. This got me the answer.

I have the G3 Pro 500 using 3 collars used daily and charge every Sunday.
    Bob S

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "I started with nothing and I've still got most of it"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    When I had a G2 Pro 500, I rarely charged it. I kept it in the truck almost continuously and took it in the house to charge rarely.

When I upgraded to G3 Pro 500 .........
    Thanks! Chris
    same here
    my 1998 pro 500. never serviced, never scent in, never failed
    thanks for the time to charge remind, it lives in the truck
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

G2 flyaway both are about 5-6 years old one is dead needs to be repaired
    The other stays in truck all year long and is charged in truck also the collar
    That is broke was a loner that was on the blink when I got it.
    Since I train/teaching a young dog 5-6-7 days a week I charge In truck as often as possible
    I have always had the flyaway and have noticed every 3-4 years they need to be fixed the main
    Problem is the on/off button seems to get harder to push in and turn on

Regardless of the several battery technologies used by Tritronics & the related claims of there being no memory, the best battery life results will be obtained by not charging the collars or receivers until they are dead & then to charge completely. I know this is not convenient, but it will result in the longest battery life.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    Regardless of the several battery technologies used by Tritronics & the related claims of there being no memory, the best battery life results will be obtained by not charging the collars or receivers until they are dead & then to charge completely. I know this is not convenient, but it will result in the longest battery life.
    That goes against what TT recommends. I was told to leave my G2 Flyway on the cradle when not in use.

From the manual:

"NIMH Batteries do not have a "memory" so you can recharge at any time, even if the batteries have not run down. Also, you can leave the unit (or battery pack only) on charge in the cradle at all times when it is not in use, without damage to the batteries.

Just a few highlights;

Do not charge batteries in hot areas such as inside a vehicle

The cradle flashes red and then green briefly when power is applied. When the reciever is charging at full current the cradle will be red. When the system switches to trickle charge teh cradle light will be green. The reciever is charged but may be left on the cradle.

If cradle blinks red slowly when unit is in cradle, it has diagnosed a failure. You're screwed, contact customer service.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 02-06-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post

If cradle blinds red slowly when unit is in cradle, it has diagnosed a failure. You're screwed, contact customer service.
    Damn, this will be my third collar warranty . . .