The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: G3 TriTronics Pro series ...how do you manage your charging?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • I keep my transmitter and receiver on the cradle whenever I'm not training.

33 19.41%
  • I keep them off the charger for days or weeks before charging.

129 75.88%
  • Other - please explain

8 4.71%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How often do you Charge your TriTronics Pro 100, 200, 500 or Flyway (G3)

I charge my 100 overnight every couple of times that I use it and have never had a problem.

Surprising the manual states that you can leave them on the charger pretty much all the time yet, the survey says that most folks don't do it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Surprising the manual states that you can leave them on the charger pretty much all the time yet, the survey says that most folks don't do it that way.
    My expierence with leaving expensive rechargable electronics on the charger never ends well, had a Recharable LED Droplight wont hold a charge, Rechargable LED Flashlight totally killed the battery, and those are just two of my most recent expierences Just dont like leaving anything on the charger for too long, replacement batteries after you do manage to locate them are never cheap.(Now that I think about it maybe that is why they recommend leaving them on the charger....???) So I charge and remove them. If the charger had a built in conditioner like say industrial battery chargers then maybe i would leave them on.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

I was told by the rep at TT to leave my Pro 500 G3 collar and transmitter on the charger when not being used.

This was not the case for the older unit I traded in. Seems people's charging practices are based on what the old system recommendations were, and not what TT recommends for the G3.

Mine stay on the chargers when not in use. They only time they are not is if I'm on a hunting trip and thy usually last the whole time. Mine are about 4 yrs old and never a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert C View Post
    I was told by the rep at TT to leave my Pro 500 G3 collar and transmitter on the charger when not being used.

This was not the case for the older unit I traded in. Seems people's charging practices are based on what the old system recommendations were, and not what TT recommends for the G3.
    I got told the same thing by tech support at TT, keep it on the charger when not in use. A 500 that is 2+ years old. Battery technology has gotten a lot better over the years and they don't develop a memory like older batteries...lithium ion batteries have made that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post
    That goes against what TT recommends. I was told to leave my G2 Flyway on the cradle when not in use.

I'm fully aware of what TT recommends & the claims of the current battery technology having no memory issues. All the more reason, IMO, if there is no memory issues to not keep on the charger. TT is more concerned about programable ICs which require some level of charge to maintain programming, so they want to avoid situations where their equipment completely loses charge. But that level of discharge is virtually unattainable. My experience with the various battery technologies is to not keep them charging or have sensing circuitry constantly topping the batteries up - my experience. The only exception is the lead-acid technology used in most autos - that technology requires a constant full charge for best battery life.

In an interesting related application of similar battery technology (lithium ion) that the new Boeing aircraft uses, it is the charging logic to keep those batteries fully charged & fully exposed to sensing circuitry to top-up those batteries. As a result of the chargng logic or profile used by Boeing's battery charger, those batteries are over-heating & catchng on fire. Nonetheless, it is still the claim by Boeing, their battery mfr & the battery charger designer/mfr to keep those batteries subject to constant charging.........I bet eventually that logic changes or Boeing changes back to a more , albeit heavier, technology.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by MaltaDelta View Post
    I got told the same thing by tech support at TT, keep it on the charger when not in use. A 500 that is 2+ years old. Battery technology has gotten a lot better over the years and they don't develop a memory like older batteries...lithium ion batteries have made that happen.
    Just an FYI--the batteries in the G3 collars are NiMH

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Just an FYI--the batteries in the G3 collars are NiMH
    Yes different metals but very similar technology in application. Lithium ion is just lighter & provides slightly better storage. Forgot to add, unlike rechargeable Nicad or NiMH batteries, lithium ion batteries don't handle a deep discharge very well. Such a condition can cause permanent damage to the battery. But lithium ion batteries hold whatever charge they have better than other technolgies when not in use so with applications like collars that would not be an issue. The real issue for lithium ion in collar applications would seem to be hot environmental condition storage (they can explode if they get too hot), i.e., the Boeing problem.
    Last edited by Granddaddy; 02-16-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    David Didier, GA